Friday, August 1, 2014

Conversations with Friends and other Good Stuff!

Because I was up north for four years, I really missed having long, wonderful conversations with my dear friends.  I was blessed during my "northern exposure" to have some great home visits and frequent phone visits with some of my friends, but many of us are so busy, we just couldn't fit those long distance sharing moments into our schedules.  I'm working hard to catch up on "catching up" and this week was a wonderful start.

Sadly, when you're alone you kinda' adjust to not talking and for me that was quite an adjustment!  That's probably why my dogs seem to listen so intently to me.  They were my conversation partners.  But here I am now, surrounded by my precious friends and family, and I get to see their faces as we discuss our lives - past, present, and future.  What a gift to ourselves to be able to talk with others about what's in our hearts and on our minds.  The age of the person, where they are in life, their state of mind, their heartaches and joys, all contribute to the memories you will always have of this person.    

Last Sunday at St Matthews Baptist Church, the "Magical" David G. reintroduced me to a few verses in Romans, (Chapter 14, 1-15-15:7).  He called this message "US and THEM".  As usual with David, humor played into the questions he asked each of us.  But for me, more importantly, these verses and the challenge he presented to all of us was about making the "me" into an "us".  After forty plus years of being married and being an "us", I have spent the past four years discovering what it means to be a "me".  He talked about walking into a room looking for the person to make "me" an "us".  WOW!  I have done this countless times in recent years.  There are just so many situations when you find yourself being the "one" person in the group.  Oh...everyone is very welcoming and friendly, but that doesn't change the feeling in your heart.  One of the things I'm thankful to my Handsome fella' for is when we're in group gatherings, he makes me an "us" instead of a "me", a "two" instead of a "one", a person who can laugh out loud instead of one who forces a quiet smile, someone who can look forward to events and not dread the future.  Thank you David for reminding me to avoid placing stumbling blocks in the way and to focus on what "joins" us all together.  Great Sunday morning even though we did have to say goodbye to one of my newest, best friends, Jeremy who, along with his family, is following a new calling from the Lord.  (Dang!!!)  Best wishes to him in his new church home!

The rest of the week included some very special conversations with exceptional people.
Lunch and talking with Madeline who had breast cancer surgery yesterday and the prognosis looks very promising.
A great evening with my wonderful friend CH and her friends celebrating...yes celebrating her recent divorce, selling of her home and the purchase of her new home.  What a journey she has nearly completed and now the hope and excitement for a new journey with a wonderful future filled with new experiences.  
Fun, entertaining and interesting (as usual) conversations with KVH who came from Michigan for the party.  CH and KVH came to see me every October I lived in northern Michigan.  What special times those were.
Sharing a few short conversations with my dear friends Joyce and Cinda.  They are training for their THIRD Susan G. Komen, 3-day, 60 mile walk, this year in Philadelphia!  My heart nearly bursts when I think of the commitment they have made to accomplish this.  I am so proud of them for this (and lots of other things too!).
Had so many great interactions with people I have missed, Ray, Werner, Sam, MB, and the list goes on.
And I have to mention the many conversations with Handsome fella'.  As he is on the same side of the "me" part of his life as I am, we can discuss our history with special spouses and feel comfortable sharing those memories.
TRUE FRIENDS understand where you've been, they listen to you, they laugh and cry with you, they share their hearts with you.

Sometimes the stumbling block is a pebble on the walk and other times that pebble is in your shoe!  Hold on to the arm of your friend, and they will help you remove it!  Hold your friends close and keep talking.

xxoo

Prayer requests - Friends Rick and Barbara still battling health issues, brother and sister-in-law of my friend ET, Madeline as she continues to recover from her surgery, Danielle still suffering the 24-hour variety of morning sickness, TRB as he begins his new job responsibilities, children grieving over the loss of a parent, and all of our military and their families.

P.S.  Today would have been my 41st wedding anniversary.  So thankful for those memories and looking forward to new conversations!

  

  
            

No comments:

Post a Comment