Monday, November 10, 2014

Ramblings...

I have eight pillows on my bed, and I sleep on ONE!  What's that about?  Yes, it looks beautiful, but why did I think it was necessary?  Every night I move them to a chaise next to the bed.  I stack them up, turn the covers back, crawl into bed and go to sleep using one.  The next morning I put them all back, arranged perfectly, and wait to move them again.  Thank you to my dear friend, Christy, for finding the most expensive "decorator" pillows available in the city, but I do love them.  Apparently, so does Nutty!  For the past week, when I wake up, I find her quite cozy in the midst of them sleeping soundly.  NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!  These are not doggie pillows, they are not for lounging upon, they don't look good covered in brown dog hair, and the beading on two of them is not designed for her weight!

I'm back on the house hunting trail.  Six months ago I moved into a "rental" as a temporary location until I found the perfect home for me.  It's been quite some time since I "rented", 39 years ago actually.  Anyway, quite by accident (seems to be how things happen to me these days) I met a woman who is in town preparing to sell her recently deceased father's home.  I asked her about it and she invited me to see it.  Well, Saturday morning I looked at it.  Her parents had lived in this home since 1978 and not updated anything.  There's wallpaper, paneling, formica countertops, harvest gold appliances, totally outdated lighting, hunter green wall to wall carpeting, low vanities, rust colored ceramic tile, no fence and a neighborhood I have never lived in before .  There's also double front doors, a slate floored entry, formal living room, formal dining room, fabulous rock fireplace in a cozy family room, three bedrooms, two full baths, attached garage, a lovely back yard, neighborhood sidewalks, and a history of a loving family who enjoyed being together.  So here I am wondering if my home has found me.  Anxious to see if this home and I will come together.

Spent last Saturday night celebrating my brother-in-law's birthday.  Bill was 70 years old!!!!  We all said, "Holy Cow, Bill's seventy!!!!"  Then I realized I'm 67 and in three years will (hopefully) celebrate MY 70th birthday!  Why does the age of 70 sound about 20 years older than the age of 67??????  Or maybe the question is why does 67 sound young and 70 sound so old????????  Of course, as usual, sister Mary immediately informed everyone within hearing she was the youngest!!!!  Happy Birthday Bill!  We all love you!

Had a tutorial this morning on how to build a fire in my fireplace.  Thought of this as I listened to the weather forecast this morning.  Two maintenance men timidly knocked on my door.  (I don't have the best reputation in the complex for being easy to get along with!!  Surprise!!!)  They came in and checked the living room fireplace first.  When they opened the "damper" (not sure if that's spelled correctly), a bucket full of soot fell into my living room!  You were wondering about my reputation????  The handle for opening this damper thing would stick.  They worked it several times and then had me try.  Still sticking!  They told me not to push or pull so hard.  How am I supposed to know stuff like that?  Anyway, finally got it working.  Then we went upstairs to my bedroom.  The handle worked much easier up here.  They asked me if I had a log to test the "drawing"!  What?????  I told them I just decided to build a fire so why would I have any logs????????  I'm going to Lowe's to buy those logs wrapped in paper.  I think you just light the paper.  Anyway, once they were sure I could open and close the damper, they left.  They were looking for any retreat they could find!!!  Anyway, so now I know how to build a fire in the fireplace.  Really??????  For those of you living close to me, listen for the sounds of a fire engine Wednesday evening around 10pm and come on over.  It might be one of the biggest fireplace fires you've ever seen!  Fingers crossed!

Handsome Fella' has been out of town since Friday and will not return until mid-week.  That's a long time and I've missed him.  Let me remind each of you how wonderful and special it is to have someone to talk to, someone who listens to you, someone who makes you laugh, someone to have dinner with, someone who puts their arms around you or holds your hand.  Stop right now and touch or call or text (not if you are driving) someone you hold dear.  I was reminded yesterday during church that we all have gifts and those gifts come with a responsibility.  For those we care about, that responsibility is letting them know every day how important they are to us.  Please don't forget to do that.  You just never know...

And for heaven's sake, hug a Veteran this week!  (I plan to!)  It's the least we can do.  xxoo

*Madeline and Cinda doing well.  Keep them in your prayers as well as Rick and Barbara.  And there are others with silent prayer requests.  Add them too.  God is good!                  

                

No comments:

Post a Comment