Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Did you vote today?

One of the things that worried me the most about changing my state of residency was voting.  I have always voted in every election and have a pretty good understanding of Kentucky politics (for whatever that's worth!!!).  So I was concerned about voting in Mullet Lake Township, MI (aka Topinabee).  Today was an election day.  I had studied those running for office so I took my voter registration card and headed to the town hall where I was told voting always takes place.  The town hall is down my hill and across the corner right next to the fire department and the Topinabee Market.  I got to the town hall and there was no sign of life.  The door was locked and I thought...Hmmmmm?  Wonder what's going on?  The fire department is volunteer so there was no one there either.  I walked over to the market.  I went in and asked the young woman where do we vote?  With that she looked out the window of the market and said it's usually at the town hall.  I said I know but not today!  She then said..."I didn't even know today was an election day.  Is today the day we elect a new president?"  (I swear!)  I said no, no new president today.  (And the liquor section of the market was not covered so I thought maybe they don't vote up here!!!!)  A man walked in to the market and I asked him - where do we vote?  With that he looked out the front window and said it's usually at the town hall.  I tried to call Brett but he was off today and working in the woods and fields of their home.  I sent a text message to Emily hoping she would check her phone during her lunch time.  I walked over to the post office!!!!!  Answer there was "I don't think we're voting on anything today."  WHERE AM I?????????  I'll check tomorrow's paper and let you all know if MI voted on anything today!

Haven't shared with you all about my Derby party!  It was the first time TR Baker and I were premiering our "re-done" home (well most of it!).  The weather was perfect.  The sun was shining on our new Michigan home and the temperature was in the low 60's.  I was serving hot brown casserole (Nancy B's recipe), shrimp & grits, country ham on black pepper biscuits, asparagus with benedictine dip, cheese straws (won't do them again - too much work), goat cheese torte with homemade crackers, my chocolate pecan pie and iced sugar cookies cut in shapes of the state of Kentucky and horses heads.  I even had white, grey, 2 shades of brown and black iced horses heads to match the colors of the horses running!!!  We had about 40 guests and only 4 had been to a Derby party before (mine last year!).  I explained all about the food...the history, the ingredients, what are grits???? and so on.  TR Baker was in charge of the mint juleps!  I had made the simple syrup (another explanation) and he was doin' the pourin'!!!!  The front porch looked "FAB" and the house was all clean.  And I breathed a sigh of relief as everyone told me how beautiful the house looked and how delicious the food was!!!!!!  That "ice" is finally broken and I'm glad.

Finally, I'll tell you the outside of the house is being painted this week.  They started Monday morning and it was raining.  They spent the day power washing the exterior.  Then today they began on the porch painting the ceiling light blue (a color called "balmy" - I loved it!) and treating all the windows.  The inside walls of the porch are cedar and there was some serious water marks on the windows.  They bleached all that and will re-caulk all of them.  After that is done, they will begin outside!!!!!!  And for those of you wondering...I chose...after the painters had painted a small section outside of each color next to the brown...the...Mark Twain Grey!!!!!!!  It looks fabulous.  All the trim that is now dark green will be white.  I already have red geraniums.  I got them for the Derby party and placed them in the ground still in their pots (in case of another freeze).  The red geraniums look fabulous against the grey too.  So when you come to see me, look up on the hill for the grey house.  It's the one that looks beautiful!!!!

I hope all of you had a happy Derby!  I've been praying for many of you and challenges you are facing right now.  I might be 600 miles north but believe me when I say I'm there in spirit with my arm around your shoulder whispering in your ear, I love you!  xxoo      

No comments:

Post a Comment