Monday, April 30, 2012

Another First!

There are 3 windows in the den and one of them opens to the front porch.  TR Baker and I decided we would open that window, move the den TV through the window and out to the porch for our Derby party and the summer.  We would put another TV in the den.  Several weeks ago TR said "that window opens right?"  I said "of course".  Well, I looked at it the other day and saw that if had been painted shut.  The only question I had was how many times had it been painted shut?  So my brain begins the process of how difficult is it going to be to get it open?  And "how to" get it open.  I could also already see TR Baker tackling this job and the vision was not good!

I am continually amazed how much TR Baker and HC Baker are alike.  Honestly, sometimes it startles me.  HC and TR both would have attempted getting that window open with anger and frustration already simmering inside them just below boiling point.  So, I decided I would do this while TR was at work this evening.

I went to the toolbox and found this "thing" that looks like a paint scraper only it's about 2 inches wide and 10 inches long.  Also at the opposite end there is a little hole that looks as if it would remove nails.  I have no idea what it's called but I also brought a hammer!!!!  I took the paint scraper thing and the hammer and went all around the window hoping to loosen it and get it open.  I was able to release the window from the inside but it still wouldn't budge.  I went out to the porch and looked at the inside of the window.  Guess what?  Painted closed on the outside too!  And there is a storm window!!!!  So I call my friend Rick J. who is married to one of my oldest (known each other, not age) friends and knew HC Baker very well and shares a lot of the same personality traits and outdoor hobbies.  I gave him the whole scenario and asked what I could do.  He determined (over the phone) that my next step would be to call someone to help me.  I assured him I could do this.  (He's used to hearing that from women because his wife is always just as pleasant as I am and as flexible and as even-tempered and open-minded!)  He says OK but you'll have to remove the storm window.  Not a problem.  I go get the electric screwdriver and it's CHARGED!!!!!!!!!!  Hooray!  Out on the porch I look at the storm window.  There are 12 screws holding it in place.  I start at the top and remove each one, at the last one I have my shoulder up against the window so it won't fall out.  It doesn't, I remove it, and then proceed to use the "paint scraper thing" and the hammer to loosen the outside of the window and guess what????  I got it open.  Yea for me!!!!  And nothing's broken, nobody's angry and all is well with my world.  Should I replace the storm window or put it in the garage until next fall?  Your thoughts?

So when I ask TR Baker to move the TV through the window in the den onto the front porch and he stomps into the den to begin work on the window...     (I'm smiling!)

P.S.  It was cold and rainy this afternoon so where was I?  Yes!  At another track meet!  Garrett won 3rd in shot put again!!!!            

No comments:

Post a Comment