Monday, July 9, 2012

Windows and Wishes

Living in a house that was built in 1854 includes lots of charm and lots of trouble!  My focus this week is windows.  Nearly every window in the house has been painted shut 200 times and each window that is open is held open with a stick as all the window weights are broken.  I decided that I would work on replacing them a few at a time ($$$$).  So this morning, I met with Al, a wonderful young man and he measured 3 kitchen windows as our start.  These windows are over my kitchen sink and open to the summer back porch (not heated).  I have managed to get one of them open so a delightful breeze comes into the kitchen.  BUT...I want all of them to open.  So begins the window replacement process.

Al was very nice and polite and friendly but I could just feel he was distracted somehow.  I finally asked him if he was all right.   He said sadly no, that he was worried about someone.  I said who?  In the course of our conversation, he told me that he has spent 25 years in the navy and now the reserves and his rank was Master something (I didn't quite get that) and he was in charge of many naval reservists who were deployed last Saturday.  (The whole time he is telling me this, I'm thinking of my dear friend Dave Stancil.)  Anyway, they are a construction group and Al has been to Iraq twice teaching the people to make bricks and build schools, hospitals, etc.  He said one of the people to be deployed didn't show up.  As a result of his "no-show", Al had to issue a warrant for this person's arrest.  Al has tried to call the phone number and received no response.  He began to ask around and discovered when this person returned from his previous deployment, he was unable to find work, his wife has been diagnosed with cancer, and they are living in a car.  He said if this person had just called him, he would have helped him any way he could, found housing for him, and taken him off of this deployment list.  But now, he's going to be arrested.  I asked Al if he would tell me this person's first name, I would pray for him and Al too as he will end up being the "bad guy".  Al struggled to remember his first name and couldn't as he only knew him as Petty Officer "C".  Al was touched and relieved to know that I would pray for both of them.  Al said that's what Petty Officer "C" needs right now...prayers.  I now ask each of you to add Petty Officer "C" to your prayer list.

The world is full of so many people needing our prayers.  It's such a small and easy thing for us to do.  And the wonderful thought for me is I know you all pray!  Isn't that glorious?  I'll see Al again when the windows arrive and are installed so I'll keep you informed about Petty Officer "C".

Oh, and by the way, the high here today will be 79 and NO humidity.  Stay cool !  xxoo                

No comments:

Post a Comment