Thursday, October 11, 2012

Taking a quick break!

I'm having a wonderful week!

Fabulous friends Christy and Kristi have just left.  Gracie always loves for me to talk about them because they have the same name and come at the same time.  She calls Christy, the red-headed Christy and she calls Kristi, the other one!  They arrived Monday and the laughter began.  This was their 3rd annual visit.  The first year they came was just a few months after HC Baker had died.  I was still living in the blue cottage and trying to understand and accept the new Jo Ann Baker, widow.  It was also the first time I met Kristi.  (Many years ago Kristi lived in Louisville and became fast friends with Christy.  Kristi now lives in Saugatuck, MI, a beautiful resort area about 4 hours southwest of me.  So it was just the natural thing for Christy to stop by Saugatuck and pick up Kristi and come on up!  Confused yet?)  So anyway, now I can look forward to the C & K annual visit!  They were the first friends to see the "before" of the Topinabee home and now they have seen the "after".  They both have exciting personalities that keep the conversation jumping from one great topic to the next!  Actually what we do is solve the problems of the world.  We laugh and laugh and shed a few tears too.  We talk about our children and grandchildren, their current lives and our hopes for their future.  We also discuss the things we have survived, funny and not so funny!  The funniest story this year we kept referring to was Kristi's first attempt at making split-pea soup.  She had just had her first baby and her husband asked her to make split-pea soup.  She needed a few ingredients but the weather outside was terrible and she didn't want to take the baby out.  So...she had a bag of frozen peas and proceeded to take a knife and "split" those peas!!!!!  This statement by Kristi brought the only lull in the conversation during our 3-day visit!  And I promise you, Christy and I will never let her forget she did this!  There were so many other conversations from our hearts and of course, the "doing" of our annual traditions, but in 2010 we agreed, what's said and done at Jo Ann's, stays at Jo Ann's!  I was so sad to see them go but without a doubt, am already looking forward to next year.  We did discuss an interim visit somewhere because there are a couple of family "issues" that will definitely need updates!  My fingers are crossed!  I'm sending blessings and prayers for safe travels with them.

Right now I have the washing machine and dryer working overtime because in 24 hours I will welcome first-time visitors, my dear friend Kathy and her husband, Buddy!  (We don't call Kathy "Kathy".  She's "Withers" to us.  When I told TR Baker Kathy and Buddy were coming, he said "Withers" is coming!)  They will be here by lunch tomorrow.  Can't wait!  And we will fit 2 weeks of activities into 4 days!  We have homecoming Friday night and a fundraiser on Saturday night and lots of sightseeing in between.  I love showing guests my new neighborhood.  Most are surprised to see that I live in a real house and wild bears are not outside my door!  I'm looking forward to making new memories with them.

Well, here's what's happening locally.
It snowed this morning!  It has rained the past 2 days so the ground was wet and is still too warm for the snow to "stick", but...it SNOWED!!!!!!
With the election getting closer, political signs are beginning to appear.  Oh my!  This will be my first time to vote in a national election in Michigan.
The transition from summer to winter is in full swing.  Boats and docks are out of the water, Mackinaw Island is closing down, the population is dwindling with the summer folks heading south for the winter, and you can get a parking spot at the grocery store!

My life is incredibly blessed by wonderful friends.

Please continue to pray for my courageous friend Pat and her children, Ashley and Stephen.

Love to each of you...
            

No comments:

Post a Comment