Sunday, March 10, 2013

A Gray Weekend...

I do hope our winter is nearly over.  Saturday's high was 38 and for those of you thinking "big deal", it was!  Everything has started to melt and so far my new (last fall) gutters have held!  Snow and especially ice are the reasons you don't see gutters on homes up here.  Once the ice freezes, the weight of it just rips the gutters right off the house.  Our neighbors on the right have a pretty good length of gutter swinging right now outside their front porch.  So now my driveway is beginning to melt.  I am seeing the ground for the first time since January 2.  The other "shoe" is that I have an ice skating rink outside my back door!  And by the way, tomorrow we are expecting possibly 6-8 inches of new snow.  Son-in-law Brett says schools will be cancelled tomorrow due to ice.  Once the temps drop tonight, look out!  All that melted snow will freeze on the roads.  Spring, oh spring!!!!!!  Where are you?

Yesterday (Saturday), TR Baker and I drove to Gaylord, about 35 miles south.  The main reason we went was to go to a Taco Bell and try the cool ranch doritos taco shells.  (TR's reason!)  OK, we tried them.  TR Baker thought they were great and I had one and thought...it's a taco.  Then to add the icing on that cake, we went to Tim Horton's and got a few (12) donuts!!!!!!  The good news was we then went grocery shopping at Meijers and did NOT over buy!  Made it home in time to watch U of L beat Notre Dame and learn that UK had beat Georgia!  What a day!  

Woke up today to more rain and melting snow.  JOY!  But today also included a bit of culture.  Cheboygan High School was performing "Fiddler on the Roof" at the Opera House and Gracie and I went.  It's been a long time since I had seen a high school musical production and the students did a fine job.  Gracie was not familiar with the story so I explained parts of it to her as it progressed.  Arranged marriages, Jewish traditions, the wedding under a canopy, the stomping of the wine glass, marrying outside your religion, and having to leave your "homeland".  She was most interested in the arranged marriages and marrying outside your religion.  Her questions included what if you don't love the person your parents want you to marry and if you go to church, what difference does it make what your husband believes.  I told her to talk to her parents about it!  (Passed that buck!)

Was saddened this weekend to learn Malcolm's precious dog Daisy passed away.  I did not know Daisy but her photos looked exactly like our Lady who died in the accident.  But I am excited to remember tomorrow is the official "adoption" day for Sam and her precious girls.  It's been a long wait, and it will be bittersweet without Abe, but even though I am 600 miles away, I know I will feel the love coming from Richmond, KY.

Sending love to each of you during this Lenten season.  What would we do without our Lord and Savior?  xxoo        

No comments:

Post a Comment