Friday, October 18, 2013

The "Firsts" and the "Lasts"

Dear, dear friends just left and as usual I'm sad.  Christy and Kristi arrived Monday and for the next two and a half days we laughed and cried and talked and had a beverage or two!  Christy and Kristi have been coming to visit me ever since HC Baker died.  So we celebrated the fourth annual visit!  Their first visit was at the blue cottage and then the next year they saw the house before it was my home, then last year they saw my home, and this year Kristi got to sleep in "her" bedroom, the last room I finished.  And she loved it as was evidenced by the fact that Tuesday morning she didn't get up until 11AM!!!!!!  Christy and I went to check on her to make sure she hadn't "slept her life away" (did your mother ever say that to you?).  So these two very special people are my last visitors of the year.

But let me tell you about the "firsts"!

1.  Christy started a fire in the fire pit (her first ever and who knew she could remember Girl Scout procedures?)!  It only required a bunch of sticks, a few logs, a cardboard box, and a full roll of paper towels.  The girl got it goin'!  And so began our talks.  Isn't that the best thing about friends?  No matter how many or how few times you see each other, you can pick up right where you left off.  And every year there's always new "stuff" to contemplate.  This year we had several new subjects to review!

2.  We ran out of wood to burn around 7pm Monday night.  We even burned the best fire poking stick you'd ever want.  (TR Baker had been keeping it for over a year because he builds and starts a lot of fires!)  Anyway...what to do?  Just prior to jumping in the car to begin our search, Kristi noticed logs from a tree that was cut down right across my street.  This property belongs to my neighbors (have no idea who they are) but they are summer visitors only so, it was nearly dark and we ran across the street and became log poachers!!!  Those logs burned for a while and guess what?  We're out of wood again.  So we made a quick trip to the Topinabee Market and bought a 5-piece bundle.  We kept that fire going until we went to bed.  I was afraid it would burn the house down during the night so I took two large pitchers of water out to the fire and poured them on top.  Lots of sizzle and white smoke later, the fire was out.  Guess what?  When I got up the next morning and took the dogs out, that fire was still goin'!!!!  I immediately put another log on and we had that fire all day long!!!  (Of course, there were several more trips to the market for more wood!)  Does that girl Christy make a good fire or what????

3.  Except to poach a few logs and drive to the market, we never left the yard!  No shopping or sightseeing at all!

Love my family and friends...especially when I can reach out and touch them.

Tonight is Garrett's last home football game.  (I thought last week was!)  Next year when he takes the field he will be a junior in high school on the varsity team!  Holy Cow!  Really - where does the time go?  Does anyone have an answer to that question?

The weather forecast says Saturday night could be our first snowfall of the season!  (What season is that?  I thought it was autumn but apparently it's nearly winter!)  Oh my - not ready for this!

As I write, I'm seeing two tomatoes I have sitting on the windowsill.  Isn't that where everyone keeps them?  I bought them at the Farmer's Market.  Farmer Brown (his real name) told me they are probably his last of the year.    

So there's my "firsts" and "lasts" of this week!  Hope your week has provided some special moments for you too!  xxoo

Great quote this morning from sweet friend Leesa, the Derby City Diva!
          Someone else is happy with less than what you have.
          Thank you Leesa!

Grateful all my traveling family and friends have returned home safely.
Prayers still requested for EE, CH, Trish, and add LT.  Please and thank you!
         

No comments:

Post a Comment