Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Here's what's happenin' plus some of my other interesting observations...

I'm not much for TV and when you watch TV with TR Baker, it's always an adventure.  As we watch something, he is scrolling through to see what else is on.  And then we check to see if it's available in HD, and if so, we switch to that.  Then, when commercials come on, we fast forward through them.  And sometimes, I think more often than not, we must record a program for later viewing.  So this evening I sat down to watch the national news alone.  I like Scott Pelly, don't know what station that is, but on my TV it's 10.  If any of you don't like him for whatever reason, keep it to yourself.  I like his looks, his delivery, and the sound of his voice.  He is able to show just the right amount of caution and/or concern.  And a plus to watching him is a rerun of the Big Bang Theory immediately follows his newscast.  I love the Big Bang Theory.  I love all the actors and the roles they play.  I believe the writers to be some of the best in the business.  The show always makes me laugh.  (I might add it's followed by Two and a Half Men and I always turn the TV off just as it begins.  I hate that show and don't get me started on why!)  Anyway...during Big Bang Theory I saw a commercial and had to laugh.  I recognized Adam Levine who I understand, a few weeks ago People Magazine selected as the "Sexiest Man Alive"!  (People Magazine must be loosing it!)  So here's Adam Levine waking up in a bed next to a woman.  IS HE MARRIED?  THIS IS PRIME TIME FOLKS!  He jumps out of bed and begins searching for clothes.  He finds pants, a shirt, a jacket and heads out the door.  As he begins to run down the stairs he realizes he has forgotten his car keys and turns back.  As he approaches the door, it opens and the woman who was in bed with him hands him the keys.  And then it happens...the voice-over tells me to shop the Adam Levine Collection exclusively at KMart!  So this is what it's come to!  The sexiest man alive has a clothing collection and it's sold exclusively at KMart.  There are just no words I can put together to explain what I think of this.  'Nuff said!

In another commercial I did discover some good news.  If I ever have a legal problem that seems too big to handle, all I have to do is dial 1-800-Call-Sam.  Sam's gonna' fix my problem.  Good to know!  And now you know it too!  We're all lucky!  End of my TV watching for tonight.

I've got plenty to do.  This Sunday is the Topinabee Holiday Home Tour and my home is one of the homes that will be visited by anyone who buys a ticket.  (They're $15 in case you want to join the tour! If you should actually come for a visit, I'll buy your ticket!)  I've been decorating for two weeks now and have everything in place.  I've put up three Christmas trees, put tiny white lights on two grapefruit trees (HC Baker grew them from a seed 35 years ago and since his death, I have been able to keep them alive - that's amazing!), 5 wreaths, 4 Nativities, various stand alone decorations including 2 light-up cardinals in honor of U of L, and today picked up my 4 huge live poinsettias for use around the house.  The only thing I haven't done is cut a bunch of evergreens to put in the (non-working) fireplace and outside in a copper tub.  I have until Saturday afternoon to do that and hopefully sometime between now and then, it will not be snowing and I can get out into the front yard to the trees I need.  I'm now working on cleaning!  I hate cleaning "around" the Christmas decorations.  The first guests should arrive around 1pm Sunday afternoon and surely by then I can make the dust disappear!  Keep your fingers crossed.

I still would like to ask all of you to continue praying for several friends.  Frank in Florida spent Thanksgiving in the ICU after having his 3rd heart attack.  CH is still in the middle of a mess, EE is almost home, and R had surgery and needs a quick recovery.  There are so many others in need of our prayers - our soldiers and their families wherever they are, those who are fighting health and personal battles, the children of the world, families displaced by poverty or disasters, and I must add our politicians who need brains and to realize they are serving us...YOU and ME.

Best wishes of the season to each of you.  Merry Christmas!  xxoo      



  

1 comment:

  1. Unfortunately, I do watch TV, well I don't watch it so much as I have the television on in the background all the time. It's my company in my little basement apartment, I have NEVER lived alone and as much as I would crave just " a little me time" in my other life I never wanted to be by myself and technically alone all the time!
    So as I putter around my small space certain things on TV catch my attention and bring me to an immediate halt! It was the case when I heard Christmas bells and caught a glimpse of male models, think "Chippendale's" donning Christmas boxers without shirts and heads topped with a Santa cap moving their pelvic area "in tune" to the bells. What were they advertising besides sex was Joe Boxers from K Mart. Yes, JoAnn this IS what it has come to-sex to sell!
    In my former young(er) life I worked in advertising along with other young people. It was part of the process when starting a new campaign to have brainstorming sessions. And I remember colorful or off-color ideas being thrown around, but those in charge would immediately halt them and say, "we can't do that and remember your audience.
    When Chuck and I would watch TV together and any commercial that was just stupid in our opinion would air, he would turn to me and ask, " what was that?" My response to him was to remember the advertising world is very young and obviously their clients are as well.
    So, to conclude my two-cents worth on the subject: the world, especially the world of consumers are young and it's their world and we are just living in it!

    ReplyDelete