Sunday, February 9, 2014

February 9, 1978 - February 9, 2014

36 years...WOW!  Today is TR Baker's (Harold Charles Baker, III, for those who wonder what his actual name is) birthday!  I'm cooking bacon and sweet rolls for his breakfast.  I remember his birthday for several reasons.  Got to the hospital (Baptist East) around 8am and he was born at 11:46am.  (This was before all the current methods of determining the sex had been discovered!)  Since the day I was told I was pregnant, we had decided ourselves (HC Baker really!) this was a boy.  After many months of discussion, we decided (HC Baker really!) his name would be Harold Charles Baker, III and he would be called TR.  I wanted him to be called "Chip" as in chip off the old block, but HC Baker wanted him to be called by initials.  So there you have it!  The history of TR Baker's name.

Now, back to his birthday.  Needless to say, this pregnancy was a surprise so I decided (no input from HC Baker allowed) I would go from delivery to surgery and get myself fixed to avoid any more surprises!!!!  When TR Baker was born, HC Baker and the doctor decided to keep the sex of this child a secret to me and they hid him from me.  Everyone thought it was quite funny except me.  Finally when I threw a post delivery fit (and it was a good one!), they let me see him.  He was so beautiful with perfect skin and blonde hair standing up all over his head.  HC Baker was so happy he put a fabulous emerald and diamond ring on my finger.  Quite the romantic!  I was the talk of the hospital!  Shortly I went from delivery to surgery.

Now here's where it gets interesting.  When I began to wake up from the surgery, I was in my room and I could hear HC Baker talking to TR Baker.  Not able to fully form words yet, I just listened.  It was a beautiful conversation.  A few moments later a nurse walked into the room to get the baby, and I heard HC Baker tell her the next time she brought the baby to him, please bring a bigger bottle because TR Baker drank all the water in that little bottle and seemed to want more so HC Baker refilled it with tap water!!!!!!!  I heard the nurse say "Mr. Baker, what have you done?" and she ran out of the room.  In a few moments another nurse (probably the boss nurse) came back in and asked, "Mr. Baker, explain to me what you did."

*Things to note here...
This was the first baby for HC Baker as he adopted the girls when we married.
HC Baker had no idea what to do with a baby.
HC Baker was not stupid.
HC Baker loved a really good practical joke.
HC Baker wanted to let people know they had made a grave error and needed a few
     new procedures in place for first-time Dad's.
HC Baker was pleased whenever I couldn't contribute to a conversation.

Back to the story.

My brain is screaming at me to help my newborn son but my mouth still could not form words and I couldn't seem to get my eyes open.  But I could raise my arm!  So in the midst of this conversation, I lifted my arm in my attempt to get someone's attention.  It worked.  The nurse came over and asked if I was OK.  I grabbed her arm and shook my head indicating I had something to say.  When HC Baker realized I had heard all that was happening, he knew if he wanted to go home with this new baby and me, he'd better straighten up and fly right.  So he explained to the nurse how interesting it was that when you buy a washing machine, it comes with instructions.  However, they brought a brand new life, one that he was responsible for, into this room with absolutely no instructions.  He assured them he was not stupid enough to give this baby all that liquid and then more out of the faucet, but he could have!!!!
He suggested they review their policies and create new ones for the safety and protection of everyone.  The boss nurse said "You're right" (two of HC Baker's favorite words).  The nurses left the room, HC Baker kept TR Baker with him, and from that point on, HC Baker did whatever he wanted during our stay.  No questions asked.

So that's the story of TR Baker's first day of life.  Not a day has gone by since that hasn't been just as interesting and exciting!  There have been good days and bad days, laughter and tears, bravery and caution, and lots of learning experiences for ALL of us!  And the wonderful news...it continues to this day.

Happy Birthday to my son, my heavy lifter, my yardman, my fixer, my cook, my vacuumer, the recipient this mother's love for a son.  I'll always remember your special "birth" day!

xxoo
   
    


No comments:

Post a Comment