Sunday, February 2, 2014

Remember that game we played as kids?

For my Sunday morning worship, this morning I decided to play that old game we used to play as kids. I held my Bible in the palm of my hands and let it fall open to where it wanted to go.  With my eyes closed, I dropped my finger onto the page and guess where it landed?

Jeremiah 15:16
You spoke to me and I listened to every word.  I belong to you, Lord God Almighty, and so your words filled my heart with joy and happiness.  (Good News Bible - Today's English Version)   

Now I'm taking this totally out of context, but can you believe this verse chose me at this crossroads of my life?  Going back in time to June 11, 2010, I was in the darkest hours of my life.  The only thing I knew to do was to pray to the Lord to help me get through this, to guide me, to stay by my side and let His footsteps be my footsteps.

About six weeks ago, for the first time in quite some time, I told the story of the night HC Baker died.  I can still remember every second with extreme clarity.

The rain.
The moment I knew I had lost control of the car.
HC Baker said "oh brother, hold on", his last earthly words to me, a very prophetic statement.
The car spinning and rolling over and suddenly stopping with a huge sound as it landed on its' side
     against a tree.
The silence all around me.
Calling HC Baker's name, touching his leg, and knowing he was dead.
Lots and lots of people, cars, sirens, unknown faces of those who stopped to help.
Screaming at these wonderful people to get my husband out of the car and find our dog Lady.
From the inside of someone's car, watching emergency workers try to get HC Baker out of the car.
Seeing the resignation in their body language.  I remember my own gasp.
The trip to the hospital.
The call to Emily and Brett.
Emily and Brett arriving and all of us crying.
Leaving the hospital with Lady in the back of the car, dead.
The drive to Emily and Brett's home.  The sun was rising.
Brett burying Lady.

I could go on and on telling you about what happened in the next week, but by now many of you were already receiving the news.

And now, here I am, approaching four years since all this happened.  I've certainly done a lot since then.  I wonder about it myself!  But I believe I've listened to the Lord, and it's not always easy.  I believe He has been by my side to guide me.  I believe I have followed in His footsteps (with a few little detours now and then), and I believe I have done what He wanted me to do.  There are still moments when my heart aches, but there are more moments now filled with joy and happiness.  Questions? Yes, I still have them.  But I've learned to listen for the very special answers He places in my heart.  I hope you're listening too.

Praying this morning for...
Emily, Brett, Garrett and Gracie flying back from Orlando today
Friend of a friend, Robin who lost her husband this week
Bryan, husband of sweet Jennifer
Dear friends R and B, husband and wife both battling cancer
All those facing difficulties in their lives
All of our military and their families and
Thanking my Lord for being there for me.

I'm excited for things to come.  xxoo



                

    

No comments:

Post a Comment