Wednesday, August 29, 2012

I love the smell of Fall!!!!!

Boy oh boy!  Up here, it smells like fall and for me that means FOOTBALL!  Football is my favorite sport and once again, I have purchased the press box at the Cheboygan Chiefs football stadium for the home season.  Tonight, Garrett will play his first "under the lights" game.  He is the starting center and one of the kickers.  Even though I live in fear he will be hurt, it is also wonderfully exciting to me.  I pray and cheer at the same time.  He is only a freshman but Cheboygan High School supports a freshman team as well as a JV team and then as a junior and senior, the varsity team.  I have four more years to be the best fan he will ever have!  Tonight at 6pm think of him and pray him a great game!

Not only does it smell like fall but it feels like fall.  The night temperatures are in the mid 40's and the daytime temps are in the low to mid 70's.  My first planted flowers did fairly well this summer but are now beginning to fade.  I guess I need to pull them all and replant with mums.  Someone said the other day they were concerned we (notice how I have added myself to this MI group) might not get much (aka a ton of) snow this winter because there aren't many acorns.  Spending most of my life indoors I asked what that meant.  He said without a mega amount of acorns, the squirrels won't be hoarding as many.  I asked again who determines this and he said God!  Makes sense to me.  Have you ever heard that one?

Spent Monday, Tuesday and today with Gracie.  Emily had the prerequisite 3 days of meetings at school, Garrett was either playing golf or practicing football, and Brett was at the store.  So Gracie and I went shopping.  Our shopping always includes a trip to several shoe stores or shoe departments so she can try on all the totally out of the question high heels her mother would never let her even look at!  She almost fits into a women's size 6 and yesterday wanted me to buy a particular pair of leopard wedgies because she knew she would grow into them by Christmas.  I asked her what her mother would say and she told me she would keep them at my house!  Even though I'm an incredibly easy mark, I did NOT buy the shoes!  I did photograph the "looks" with my cell phone.  We spend most of the time laughing so hard I always wonder that the store manager doesn't come and ask us to leave.  Back home, we also painted and decorated several bird houses to donate to a silent auction event in late September to benefit the NMARN (Northern Michigan Animal Rescue Network).  It's a wonderful group my neighbors founded and also where I rescued Nutty or Nutty rescued me.  Still not clear on that!  Let's just say it was a joint effort!

How about a little local color?  Tuesday (yesterday) was the first day of the first elk hunting season.  31,900 hunters applied for a permit and only 200 were selected.  The headline in today's Cheboygan Daily Tribune says, "Elk opener strong in county".  The article went on to say the "action was fast and furious.  By 3pm Tuesday afternoon, northern Michigan hunters had tagged nine elk in total."  And I was shopping?????????

Enough for one day!  Gotta' get ready for the game.  Wish all of you were here because we'd have a great time!  Uh, and no tailgating!!!!

Several precious souls in my heart today.  Dear friends PS and AS, CMK and her dad, DCK and testing, LSJ and family, TPJ just because!  xxoo    





  

No comments:

Post a Comment