Sunday, March 30, 2014

A Very Difficult Task

As most of you know, I'm moving...again!  In the past three and a half years I have sold four homes.  That's hard for even me to believe.  Now all I have to do is find another home.  I'll leave here early  Tuesday morning with the dogs and drive to Louisville.  On Wednesday at 10am I will see this home I have written a contract on for the first time.  At 11am I'll do a walk-thru with an inspector to verify my choice.  I have my fingers crossed all will go well.  I'll complete a few other chores and return home on Friday.  A very short trip but a necessary one.  

Yesterday was a busy day for me.  I met with my mover and showed him what he will move.  He moved me from Louisville up north and was the only person I would call to move me again.  I trust him and his company with my personal belongings.  And he is completely accommodating.  He will get me where I want to be when I want to be there.  Wouldn't it great to move from this home to the next with no storage issues?  He also brought me lots of boxes, packing paper and tape.  That's one problem solved.  I also spoke with son-in-law Brett who told me the closing on this home will probably occur sooner rather than later.  It could happen within 2-3 weeks.  WOW!  I'd better get packing!  And TR Baker's friend, Danielle, moved from Traverse City to Petoskey into the home they will share.  TR Baker will move next weekend.  Things are happening pretty fast here and my heart is beginning to ache with the sadness and happiness of the future.

When I decided to sell my home, I spoke with all three children and asked them about their Dad's ashes.  (They have been a guest on the bookshelf in the den since I moved into this home.)  There were some conflicting responses.  I decided to divide the ashes so that each child could have a part of their Dad.  HC Baker loved wooden boxes.  Over the years he had come into possession of quite a few.  When he died I gave each grandchild one of the boxes filled with a few of their grandfather's special belongings.  I kept three of the boxes that were special to me because I had given all three to him over the years.  Now I needed a day alone, certain I would not be disturbed, and I chose today.

I gathered all three boxes and the original box holding HC Baker and brought them into the kitchen.  I also got four heavy duty zip-lock bags.  Now all I had to do was cut open the original bag and divide the ashes.  Oh my.  It took me quite a while to make that cut.  I had no idea what these ashes would be like and how I was going to divide them.  I got a measuring cup.  At first the ashes were hard like they had become solid again.  (I'm sure there's a wonderful analogy there but it's not in me today.)  I got a spoon and began to loosen them.  Slowly I filled each bag until it appeared everyone had the same amount, and then I placed each bag in their box.  Next I went to my box of very personal memories of our life together and began to select HC Baker "stuff".  I choose things he had written (all of us always teased him about his handwriting - very easy to identify), articles he had saved he enjoyed reading and re-reading, and photos of him.  I arranged three groups of things, each one specifically and lovingly selected for them.  I added "their" stack to their box plus a photo of HC Baker and me and closed each box.  Done.  I had no idea this task would be so difficult.

I heard from a dear friend today who said to tell HC Baker he's got my back!  Grateful...                      

No comments:

Post a Comment