Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Family, Friends and a Rodeo!

The past week I have experienced a wild and crazy ride!  I'm still in Louisville spending time with terrific family, friends who are like family, and eating, drinking and being all-around merry!

I have laughed.  I have learned new things (like there's a hospital Lebanon, KY - who knew?  I didn't need the hospital but a super friend did and weren't we glad it was there!).  I have hugged and been hugged and that's a really, really important thing.  I have talked and listened - one of the wonders of life.

I went to the "Game Dinner" (not board game but wild game).  One of my oldest friend's (not age but length of time we've been friends) husband has a tradition of the game dinner.  Everyone who comes brings something prepared to eat they have killed or caught.  HC and Rick were two of a kind.  They loved the outdoors, loved to fish and loved to hunt.  HC always prepared something and off we'd go to Frankfort.  One particularly bad year HC Baker had nothing to take.  We drove to the general store in Boredom...oops I mean Borden, Indiana, and he bought buffalo meat (oh my goodness) and prepared a buffalo stew.  This year I took corn pudding!  But the food is fabulous.  I had smoked salmon, dove breast stuffed with feta cheese and wrapped in bacon, plenty of venison, crispy cornmeal fried catfish, pheasant pot pie (delicious), and terrific salads and vegetables and desserts!  What a night!

Sunday, my sisters and I enjoyed "cousin day"!  Our two cousins from Nashville, Tennessee, Mike and Mark drove up and our cousin David from Lexington drove over and brought Kathy.  We laughed all day remembering crazy things that happened growing up.  If you are blessed by this kind of family you know how much fun we had.

Monday night was a gift.  My dear, dear friend Kathy and her sister Janis came to town for a get-together.  A terrific local bookstore (Carmichael's) hosted one of our favorite authors - Kentuckian Silas House.  He was reading from his newest book - Same Sun Here.  Just listening to him read is a treat.  If you're not familiar with Silas or his books, you have missed something wonderful.

Today was spent shopping (again) at all the fabulous local shops.  I might have to rent a u-haul to get me back home!  Tomorrow I have three more shops to visit because they sell very special, make-you-happy things.  Can't wait.

I'm especially looking forward to Saturday night.  I will travel to Loretto, Kentucky, for a rodeo.  My young friend Sara H-V is an aspiring bull rider.  I have seen her pictures posted on FB and been totally amazed at this.  So Saturday night I'm going with her.  Wish both of us luck!

Thank you to the Kirkland's, Matt and Shannon and Devin, Erin, Kelly, DB, Jack and Lou, Barbara and Rick, Hub and Reenie, Kathy (Happy Birthday) and Janis, and some of my favorite local restaurants (Corner Cafe, Cafe Lou Lou's - twice, Home Made Pie Kitchen, Compfy Cow - WOW!, a wonderful restaurant in Anchorage, and The Cheddar Box to name a few!  Love the food in Louisville!

Coming back to the scene of my life has had its' ups and downs.  So many places HC and I enjoyed together, so much conversation about him, me and my crazy questions to myself about what I'm doing, and the special love I feel from all those I have been fortunate to spend some time with.  And it's not over yet!

Up-coming attractions...on the trip back home I will be stopping in Troy, MI, at the Somerset Collection, an incredible mall I have yet to experience with anchors that include Neiman's and Saks!!!!!
They also have one of my favorite things...valet parking!  I'm going there to a special store my sister Mary found at Tysons Corner when she was in Washington DC last week.  I'll tell you more about it once I get home.  It should be quite something!  Until then, don't miss a moment of your life!

1 comment:

  1. I can't imagine a better birthday than spending it with you AND Silas House AND my sister. I love you, and though I know you are enjoying MI, I surely wish you weren't so far away.

    ReplyDelete