Thursday, March 1, 2012

Broken Leg Cake!

Today marks the one-year anniversary of Emily's broken leg.  Last year on March 1, she slipped on ice at school and broke her leg in about 5 places.  She now has great difficulty getting through the scanner at airports.  She has a steel rod, a steel plate, and about 7 screws.

Yesterday since there was no school, Gracie came over and we baked a cake, cut it out to resemble the bottom part of a leg, iced it and it was their breakfast today!  Can't remember what they had for breakfast last year but next year, they'll remember what they had today.  After baking and cooling the cake, when I inverted it, it fell and broke into 4 pieces.  So we had a broken cake for a broken leg party!  (Icing held it all together!  No steel for us!)  After being gone for several weeks, Grace and I had a great time together.  We had a lot to catch up on.

It began to snow Tuesday as I returned from Louisville.  It snowed most of the night and again in the morning.  Got about 6 inches (on top of what was left on the ground).  Weather forecast for the weekend is predicting 8-12 more inches beginning Friday late afternoon with 1-2 inch accumulation per hour.  Can't wait!  (Went to the grocery today!)

I spent several hours at Emily's school today helping with Terrific Thursday.  It was the last day of the grading period and all students had the opportunity to choose an activity for their last hour.  Some chose playing in the gym, painting in the art room, etc.  Emily teaches math but also one hour of Spanish.  Her activity for those who chose to was having each child make a tortilla.  She had made dough balls, so each child had to roll it out and then Emily or I put it in the fry pan.  Once it was done the children could cover it with cinnamon sugar.  We used the Family Life room (the old Home Ec) and had 6 rolling stations and six skillets going.  There were 40 students very excited to eat their creations.  It tasted like an elephant ear but was called a mexican word I can't remember.  We heard over and over again, "I've never used a rolling pin," "I've never cooked anything."  These are middle schoolers!!!!  Does everything they eat pop in and out of a microwave?  Anyway, they had a good time.  We're repeating this next Thursday 3-6pm to kick-off an 8th grade lock-in ('til midnight).  We could have 100+ creative cookers!!!  I'd better take my vitamins!

Can't remember if I told you but I got a new phone while in Louisville.  It's an LG My Touch.  It does everything.  I can read e-mails, check FB, it's a GPS, it tells me where the closest anything is, and lots more.  What it doesn't do is continue working after it's been dropped.  And I can't call for answers because it won't work.  What to do?  I'm waiting for TR Baker to get home from work and tell me how to fix it.  It won't help that he told me I needed a cover before I dropped it and it broke!!!!!!!!  Oh my!

So...March 1...already.  Does the time totally fly by for you or is it just me?  And is it really a symptom of getting older or are our lives so busy our days all run together?  Should I get up earlier to have more quiet time or will I fill that time with more things to do?  I've tried keeping a schedule but I put it down somewhere and find it 5 hours later.  I definitely need to make a new plan (Stan - ha-ha).  I'll keep you posted!

Happy March!

(Wore a new bra today.  Felt very glamourous!)



  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment