Thursday, March 29, 2012

Pictures in Frames

Yesterday I started to REALLY get into the front porch boxes.  I have spent the last seven months without any family and friend pictures around the house.  Now I'm ready and began opening the boxes marked pictures.  There were 3 boxes filled with loose snapshots, notes and cards written by children and grandchildren through the years (we all have them), and programs from all the recitals, graduations, and school plays.  Then there were the boxes of framed photos.  All shapes and sizes of frames showed loved ones through the years.  I first set aside the ones that I would use "as is".  Then I began to separate the frames that I wanted to update with newer photos.  Here's when I lost time.

If you're like me, when I would put a new photo in a frame, I'd simply cover the old one.  As I began to insert the newer pictures, I took out the old ones only to find there were 3 or 4 or 5 that I had forgotten about.  There were pictures of Libby, Emily and TR when they were born.  TR is now 34 and the girls both have April birthdays when they will be 42 and 43 (how did that happen?).  I remember the "birth" days and how my life changed each time.  I remember when I was pregnant with Emily (2nd daughter), I was so worried I had given all my love to Libby.  Was there any love left for this new baby?  And then when I saw her, all the love I needed to give was there.  Then (8 years later), TR was born and there was more love to give.  I've often wondered where does that "more" love come from?  And then I saw them as they grew into toddlers, first day of kindergarten, special moments, birthdays, and high school and college graduation.  Then weddings...oh my!  (We had a couple that didn't "take"!)  I'm so proud of my children.  In spite of me, they have all become smart, successful, artistic, and absolutely wonderful adults.  HC and I were not perfect parents, but we tired very hard.  There's that old saying about when you buy a stove, it comes with instructions.  When you have children, they check you out of the hospital with a smile and a wave!

I found pictures of the grandchildren.  I was there when Daniel and Garrett were born.  When the twins were born, I was visiting Emily at college in Michigan.  When Adam was born, I was keeping Daniel and the twins.  When Grace was born, HC and I were in Louisville but left immediately to come and see her.  Those photos are priceless to me.  My heart breaks for those who survive tragedies like the recent tornadoes in Kentucky and Indiana.  They loose so much more than their homes.  What if you lost all of your pictures in frames?

Yesterday it was so cold here and very windy.  At about 11am, the power went out.  I was in the process of doing several things each requiring electricity.  I pounded my fist and stomped my foot.  Then I remembered all those tornado survivors.  Loss of electricity was the least of their worries and heartache.  So I found something else to do for the next 3 hours when the power was restored.  Pictures in frames are love I can hold in my hands.  Pictures in my heart last forever.

It snowed this morning.  No accumulation but SNOW for cryin' out loud!  But today, I also saw a forsythia bush beginning to bloom.  Blessings to each of you and all the pictures in your hearts.

           

No comments:

Post a Comment