Thursday, October 27, 2011

The First Call

First I must tell you I was so blessed that night because one of our (do I keep saying our?) daughters, Emily, lives very close to our MI cottage.

So, by the time I was "officially" told HC was dead (I knew it within seconds after the car stopped rolling), and I was taken to the hospital, it was 1am.  After I was checked to confirm I had no injuries, I was asked if I wanted to call someone.  Dear Lord help me!  They brought me a phone and dialed Emily's home.  At that hour of the morning, when the phone rings, it scares all of us.  My wonderful son-in-law answered the phone and at first I simply couldn't speak.  I had no clue what to say.  Somehow he knew it was me and I heard him tell Emily, "It's your Mother."  She took the phone and asked the question, what's wrong?  "We've had an accident and Dad's dead."  Seven words and I had to say them 2 more times.  How would I have the strength?  Brett took the phone from Emily, I explained where I was and he said they'd be there as quickly as possible.  In the midst of all of this, I kept asking about our dog Lady.  Did you find her, is she OK, she has to be in the car.  At one point in the Emergency Room, someone did come in to tell me they had found her under luggage in the back of the car.  The local animal shelter had come and taken her there.  I was so worried about her.  She was an old dog, and I'm sure scared to death.  She and HC were such a pair, I'm sure she was wondering where he was.

Everyone was so kind to me, and I have to say I felt a certain peace.  They offered me what I refer to as "coping drugs", but I didn't feel the need for them.  And I wanted to be able to understand what was happening.  Emily and Brett arrived and we were able to survive those first few moments.  Now I could share my sorrow, my worries, and my breaking heart with family.  Brett took charge just like HC would have.  He spoke to everyone, got the facts and figures, the who, what, where, when, and how.  Finally we were told we could leave.  Brett knew where HC was and would handle that for us.  The animal shelter people brought Lady to the hospital and Brett put her in their car.  Brett and Emily walked me out to the car and opened the back end so I could see Lady.  She looked at me with her huge brown eyes and died.  I've always said HC didn't want to go without her and she didn't want to live without him.  Oh my.  What next?

We drove to Emily's home and Brett immediately took Lady and buried her with their other pets who had passed on.  We've always called it the pet cemetery, but VERY unlike the Stephen King one!  The sun was rising on a new day.  It was a quiet time for us.  Soft words were spoken and Emily began the lists of what needed to be done.  At the top of it, 2 more phone calls to Libby and TR.

I saw a sign today that said "Have a great day today!"  Hope you did.  

1 comment:

  1. Jo Ann,

    Thank you for sharing your story. I know that I am blessed to have you as a friend.

    ReplyDelete