Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Mile Marker 262

How many times have we heard or maybe even said...I'm having an out-of-body experience?  

Well, what began as an 8-hour drive to our cottage in northern Michigan became my out-of-body experience.  I was driving, it was dark, it was late and all of this was totally normal on our trips to Michigan.  About 60 miles south of our exit (310), we ran into a terrible storm.  In a split second, the rain was so hard, I lost control of the car.  It began a spin and HC Baker said "Oh brother, hang on!"  Those were the last words he spoke.  The spinning car left the road, rolled over, and stopped on it's side against a tree.  It seemed that immediately, wonderful people who's names I will never know were outside the car shouting to me.  I was shouting too, for HELP!  HC was right next to me but I could only see his body.  He was bent forward and his head was under the dashboard.  I was talking (probably shouting) to him, rubbing his leg.  The wonderful angels were able to get the car door open and somehow pull me out.  They asked if I was alone in the car and I shouted NO, my husband is in that car and our dog, Lady, a yellow lab.  I was walked up the hill and put in someone's car.  The police, ambulance, and fire department arrived so fast.  (I wonder about that - was it as fast as I thought or was my life as I knew it flying by?)  

I can recall nearly every minute of that night and will tell you more about it as those moments reappear in the next months of my life.  Because I was wearing my seat belt, I had one tiny scratch on the back of my left hand.  HC was not wearing his seat belt and died instantly.  Now if that's not a lesson to "buckle-up", you've got to learning impaired! 

June 11, 2010 - The beginning of the rest of my life, my widow world!  

Tomorrow - the phone calls.   

No comments:

Post a Comment