Friday, January 13, 2012

Friday the 13th!

I didn't realize the date until I turned on the TV this morning to see if schools were closed.  It snows a little bit every day here just to make the old snow look fresh.  However, it began snowing yesterday about 4pm and it's still snowing.  We have about 10 new inches and schools were NOT closed.  They tell us we should receive another 2-3 inches before it stops tonight.  But it's a good thing because snowmobilers and skiers will be up here for the weekend making the motels, restaurants, etc., very happy!

Back to the TV in the morning.  I just happened to land on the 60th anniversary of the Today Show.  Oh my goodness...I remember all of these people being a part of the show.  What great people and what a gift they have given to the world.

The painters arrived at 7:45am this morning.  They want to finish as much as I want them to finish.  We're down to minor things such as changing the hinges on the kitchen cupboards and painting the railing and bannister to the second floor.  Then they'll do the "touch-ups" and I'll have my "punch" list.  So my fingers are crossed that this time next week it's DONE!!!!!  Then I'll have to start saving for the second floor!

All the Christmas decorations are put away except for the Christmas cards.  After the holidays are over, I love to read the cards again, and the messages written inside, and those wonderful letters written with love about families and all that happened to them in the past year.  I received cards from friends old and new, friends close and faraway, families who have welcomed precious new babies, families who have lost loved ones, families with dynamics that have changed, new jobs, loss of a job, and the list goes on.  They are all so dear to me.  One special card I received was from Dongyen "Billy Bob" Kang.  He is now out of the Korean Army having fulfilled his military obligation and working for a bioinformatics company in Seoul.  He plans to return to the US in August.  He was one of HC Baker's favorite new friends.  He's called "Billy Bob" because HC couldn't pronounce or remember his Korean name.  So he became "Billy Bob" when he went on a disaster relief trip with HC after Katrina.  They became fast friends.  He wrote,
"Although I may be young, I've come to realize that memories are what keeps us going as we live our lives."  How very true.

As I begin this new year, I have my lists of things I want to accomplish.  Some will be completed soon and others will take several months of work to complete.  Hopefully by 12/31/12, I can throw this list out and start a new one.  And life goes on...

Hope your weekend is wonderful!              

No comments:

Post a Comment