Monday, January 30, 2012

Widow Woes!

I know you've let me rant and rave about all sorts of things but today's "rant" is definitely a widow problem!  Let me re-cap a bit.  Remember, before HC Baker died, I had never written a check, paid a bill, had no idea how much money we had or where it was or anything else about living except having a grand time (and I did)!

I have a PO Box and go to the Topinabee post office to collect the mail.  I don't go every day but definitely visit there every other day.  I went Friday and emptied the box, brought it home, and gave it a quick review...you know, save or toss!  Two things caught my eye so I opened them.  It is now about 5:15pm on Friday afternoon/evening.

The first envelop I opened was from the Louisville Metro Revenue Commission.  Inside was a bill for a huge amount of money.  The tax amount was enough but they had added a huge penalty and huge interest!  Holy Cow!  It also said if I paid by 1/18/12, I would owe this amount and if I paid by 2/1/12 I would owe this amount and after that penalty and interest would continue to accrue on a daily basis.  I nearly fainted and of course the number listed to call was answered by a machine telling me to call back during regular business hours.  Monday morning could not come soon enough!!!!!

Here's how that conversation went!!!  The call was answered by a recording telling me to listen closely as the options had changed.  Press 1 for something, press 2 for something, press 3 for...and on and on.  Of course the final option was to hold to speak to a representative.  And hold I did.  Eight minutes later I spoke to a person who spelled her first name Minh (after I asked her 3 times to say it again).  Let me tell you English was not her first language nor her second nor her third!  I very slowly explained the reason for my call and her response was I would need to pay the bill before they would review it.  My response was I want to speak to your supervisor NOW!  Minh said I should give her my number and the supervisor would call me back.  I said I'LL HOLD!  Minh said her supervisor was on the phone and would be sure to call me when she was finished.  I said I'LL HOLD!  Minh said something else I could not understand and I said I'LL HOLD!  So I did and 12 minutes later the supervisor answered the phone.  She asked how she could help me and I said I wanted the name and number of the top person at the Revenue Commission.  She said she did not know who that was because it was a board of commissioners.  I said great.  The more the merrier.  Give me all their names.  She told me she could not do that because she would help me.  Did I have another question?  Yes, I'd like the number to the mayor's office.  She told me she did not know what it was!!!!!!!!  I said let me speak to your supervisor.  This woman told me she wouldn't be able to help me because it wasn't her job.  I hung up.  Next I went on-line to find the mayor's office number.  I called it and spoke with a woman who gave me the number of the revenue commission.  I told her there was no way I was going to call that office again because everyone who I had already spoken with there was stupid.  SHE HUNG UP ON ME!  FYI...I have sent a check to the revenue commission for the amount of the tax.  I've included the ever-popular death certificate and a letter copied to the mayor that includes the dates, times and names of the idiots who should not be paid for any work they did today because they didn't do anything.  My final sentence in the letter included my address, phone number, and a brief description of my home so they could come and find me to get the penalty and interest money.  And please make sure the police have handcuffs!

And that was the first letter that caught my eye.  Here's the second one.  It was from a very well-known international investment firm who shall at this time remain nameless (at this time!!!).  After HC Baker died I learned (don't remember how) he had money invested with these folks.  I called them, they explained to me what to do, I did it, took that money and put it somewhere else.  All signed, sealed and delivered.  Done!  NOT!!!!  This letter is telling me they need to update my information.  And why would that be?  So the second call this morning was to them.  Again, press 1 for this and press 2 for that and on and on.  Finally got someone, very nice, very personable who said I needed to speak with the legal department.  OK, so connect me.  She did.  Another very nice, very personable person who told me he would send papers to me to update my information.  And I asked why?  I thought I was done with you.  I took the money you had and moved it somewhere else.  He said somehow there's a little bit left and they would need to send me a check once I returned the updated information.  I said OK, send me the papers.  And if I might ask, how much is a little bit?  He said it's a PENNY!!!!!  I asked him to please repeat that, and he did.  I said did you say a penny?  You're going to write me a check for a penny?  He said yes m'am!  I HUNG UP!

I'm on my second bottle of wine.  Don't call me tonight!  Oh, I forgot to tell you...it's snowing!            

No comments:

Post a Comment