Tuesday, January 24, 2012

The "Weathers" of Life

Monday morning around 4am we had a thunderstorm with lightening.  That was really something.  It had warmed up just enough and the rains came.  It rained until mid-morning and I thought maybe the rain was going to wash away the snow.  Schools were cancelled!  The rain stopped around noon and the temperatures fell.  Now we have some major ice!  Not to be undone, the temperatures fought back and it has now been snowing since midnight last night.  Oh boy...what a mess!  No school again today.  And the snow keeps falling.  I must say that it is one of the most beautiful snow mornings I have seen.  Everything is covered and as yet no footprints in the snow.  (And I have my fingers crossed the floor guys will come today!)

The floor guys will "fix" 2 seams in the kitchen floor.  My floor is a black and white diamond pattern and when it was installed, the seams were cut straight across.  It looks terrible.  So it's been decided the seam will need to be cut in the diamond shape so no seams will be noticed.  (Interestingly enough, the flooring store has removed my "sample" from their selections.)  It's been a challenge!  Hopefully by this afternoon I will have a wonderful looking kitchen floor.

With that said, last night I received an e-mail from a high school friend telling me her twin sister was now in Hospice care in Vancouver, British Columbia.  Lyn has fought several cancers in the past 4 years and now the end is near as bone cancer is devouring her brain and eyes.  Who gives a crap about my floor?

In truth I tell you I have always hated death.  I was never the wife who suggested we visit someone in the hospital or nursing home or pay our respects at the funeral home.  And HC Baker was the best visitor to those who needed special care, conversations, and just plain love in their time of need.  I hated every day he was in the hospital.  I called Baptist Hospital East the big grey bunker and was so overwhelmed, I never re-named the Mayo Clinic.  I think I was afraid to.  I know death is a wonderful relief to many who are ill and those who love them but I always ask myself the age old question...why do good people die and bad people live?  And I know all the answers to that question.  I just have a difficult time accepting it.    Lyn is a great person with so many gifts.  Please include her in your prayers.

I don't normally do this but I'm telling you I will be in Louisville the last half of February.  I NEED to see, talk to, and touch family and friends.  Life is precious, life is short, life is a challenge.  Our lives are what we give to others...to help them, to support them, to hold them close.  I miss HC Baker so very much and think of all the time wasted in silly arguments or when I chose to read a book instead of talking to him or when I didn't want to do what he wanted to do (usually involving the out-of-doors) or any number of other things.  Research studies can always tell us how much of our life is spent sleeping or eating or driving a car, but they never tell us how much time we spend sharing love.  Why is that?  If you knew would your life be different?  Pretend you do know we only share our love 15% of our lives.  (I just made that % up.)  What are you going to do about that?  Something today?  You'll start tomorrow?  Wait until next Monday to begin with the new week?  Your choice!



        

No comments:

Post a Comment