Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Me and the Goats!!!

Oh my gosh!  Emily and her family are in Arizona for spring break visiting Brett's parents.  She sent me a text this morning saying it was 91 and they were swimming!

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...I have 3 responsibilities while they are gone.  First feed the goats (there are 5 of them) twice a day, secondly, feed the fish twice a day and when I feed them in the evening, turn on their tank lights so they don't feel alone in the house (that from a note left by Gracie), and thirdly, get the mail out of the mailbox and put it on the kitchen counter.

The fish and the mail...not a problem.  The goats are another story.  When the family is home, the goats are allowed out of their pen to wander around the field.  Since I'm doing the feeding, they stay in the pen because there are coyotes and other wildlife that could do them harm.  Today it is barely 32 degrees and it has been snowing since around 1pm.  No real accumulation, but just enough to make a mess.  And windy!

I'm painting 2 bathrooms this week so before I start each morning, I go feed the goats.  Then around 6pm I go back and feed them again.  Each goat has their own food bowl and Toffy gets 2 scoops, and the others get one scoop.  Then I make sure their water is full and put 2 "flakes" of alfalfa in the hay thing!  So far so good.  But this evening, in the mist of the snow and wind, I put their food in the bowls and went to the barn to get the alfalfa.  While my back was turned, they ran out of their pen!!!!!!  5 of them running around in the field.  Like an idiot, I called them to come back.  What was I thinking?  I'm wearing muck boots, a hat, neck scarf, coat and gloves and still freezing!  And wondering how to get these dadgum goats back in their pen.  I tell myself to remain calm and not call 911 (or TR).  I can do this.  The goats don't have collars and there's no sign of a leash.  When I want the dog to come to me, as a last resort I say "want a biscuit?" and it works every time.  So I hollared to the goats, "want a biscuit?"  I don't think they heard me.  And I'm running (slowly) around the field trying to "round" them up!  For those of you who really know me...get a visual on this!  I can't even catch up to one of them let alone 5.  I go and stand in the pen thinking they might want to be close to me.  They didn't.  I go back to the barn where their food is kept and rattle the bucket thinking they'll think they're going to get more food.  I guess they were full.  Let me also clue you in to the fact that as soon as I get within catching distance, they run off and I swear they are smiling.  OK, maybe if I walk back up the hill to the car they will think I'm leaving and wander on their own back into the pen.  They didn't even look up.  I sit in the car (with the heat running full blast) watching them and wondering how I can do this.  I do know the goats do not like loud noises.  So I start my car and drive it down to the field and when I'm in the middle of them, I honk the horn.  Faster than a speeding bullet, they are back in the pen!!!!!

The moral of this story...when your children and grandchildren take a trip, go with them and leave the responsibilities to someone else.

Oh Spring, where are you?      

No comments:

Post a Comment