Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Spring Day...sort of!

Early this morning I wandered to the kitchen to make my cup of tea and as always looked out the window.  There was a cardinal sitting in the evergreen tree!  I could not believe it!  That's the first cardinal I've seen this spring in Topinabee in 2012.  I was very excited and decided it was going to be a great day!  I do believe the high temperature today was 58 and it felt wonderful.  I spent the entire day on the front porch.  First I pulled up the (very) old indoor/outdoor carpet.  Most of the foam backing has turned to dust so that was a messy job.  My allergies didn't like it at all.  I'm still coughing.  There are 17 windows surrounding the porch and each had a window shade.  All gone!  I took them down and they, along with the carpet, are in the trash waiting for Friday morning's pick-up!  Can't wait for that stuff to be gone!  Then I washed all the windows (yuk!) and vacuumed the windowsills and baseboards.  Tomorrow I am ready to paint the floor (it's plywood).  The color will be red at TR's request.

There was a sofa and 2 chairs left in the house, and they are the kind with a wooden frame and loose cushions.  I am making new covers for the cushions.  There are 14 of them and the new fabric is primary colors in stripes and coordinating floral and red and blue denim.  I have 11 of them done.  I'll also cover a few pillows to toss around!

As soon as I finish painting, I will arrange the furniture and place the cushions.  I cannot wait.  It will be the first time since we moved in that the front porch is not full of stuff/junk/boxes/furniture/leftovers from other rooms and dirt!  I will photograph it as soon as it's done (Sunday at the latest).

TR spent the day down at the boathouse.  It sits right on the lake so the first clean-up after winter is a "doosie".  Our property is the only one in our row with a tree.  So the leaves were never raked last fall plus branches and sticks and overgrown weeds and the grass...he got it all cleaned up, sprayed for no more weeds, mowed and put down mulch.  We're on a roll here!

Yesterday Garrett had another track meet.  This one was in Sault St Marie about 100 miles north of us (across the bridge into the "UP"-Upper Peninsula).  Brett went because Gracie had soccer practice.  This track meet was a qualifying race for an Invitational tomorrow in Indian River.  I'd never heard of a qualifying meet.  You must place in the top 3 to participate in the Invitational, and he did!!!!  He placed 3rd in the shot put but did not make the top 3 in the 100 yard race.  So he will compete in the shot put tomorrow and I'll be there.  (I'm not sure about this "qualifying" thing especially for the 8th graders.  This is their first experience participating in track and field events and I think every child should be allowed to compete if they are on the team and have been practicing.  Not being allowed unless you are a "winner" is not very motivating.  I remember when TR Baker went to Eastern High School for his first year.  He wanted to be on the golf team so there was a meeting and you had to bring a parent.  I went and the first thing the coach said to the new kids was they need not expect to play because he had very good players who were juniors and seniors and they would be the ones competing.  Eastern High School went down hill from there!  I was never in one of my children's schools as much as I was for TR's years at Eastern.  What a nightmare.  I was happier than he was when he graduated.  I hope they don't have the same principal, and I hope none of you are related to him or are his friend because he was an idiot!  And many times I was there I went with questions for the principal.  He was never available.  One time I said I'd wait and sat down at one of the office desks.  He appeared within 5 minutes.  OK...enough about him!)

Tomorrow Grace has a soccer game at 5pm in Cheboygan.  And...tomorrow is also Grace's 10th birthday, so with our last breath, we will have a birthday dinner around 8 o'clock!  The Lindgren's wear me out!  What is that song and I do love it...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger!  So true!

Crossing my fingers for another sort of Spring Day tomorrow.  Isn't it amazing what sunshine (and a cardinal) can do for you?  xxoo

            

No comments:

Post a Comment