Monday, April 16, 2012

A reminder of why I love the indoors!

This morning when I awoke, it was beautiful outside.  I planted some seeds, watered my four pots of mint I had already planted, spoke with the young man who is coming back on Thursday morning to pretty-up my yard, and sat down in a yard chair and drank my morning tea.  I thought, Spring finally!  NOT!!!!

The weather forecast said the temperatures would continue to drop all day, possible rain and winds gusting up to 50 mph.  Oh and also snow late tonight with possible accumulation of 2 inches by morning. Good Grief!

I had a lot to get done today so I worked very hard and fast.  Still putting the finishing touches on the upstairs baths and getting ready to pull up ugly carpet on the front porch and paint it.  All to be done by Derby Day!  Hurry!  Hurry!

And I had to leave the house by 3:20pm to get to Cheboygan for Garrett's very first track meet at 4pm.  He is training and competing in shot put and the 100 yard dash.  I knew he would be great at the shot put but was concerned about the running.  He is a great football player as the center and kicker...not a big runner.  So with the cooler weather in mind, I dressed in layers topping it all with a coat, gloves and muffler.  When I arrived at the meet, I also took my umbrella just in case.  The wind was really blowing by the time I got to the shot put area.  And daughter Emily was working as the measuring person.  Garrett did great and I personally thought his throw was the longest.  About the time that was completed, the wind got worse, the temperature dropped and the rain began.  OK, I can do this.  (I say that alot!)  I headed to the stands and hoped his running event was coming soon.  As I waited for his next event, they announced the results of the shot put.  Garrett finished 3rd!!!!!!!  Hip! Hip! Hooray!  I was so happy for him.

The wind is blowing so hard I cannot open my umbrella.  And it's raining so hard my hair is wet.  The only real protection I have for my face is my sunglasses.  (That's for you Tim N!!!)  The announcer has called for the 100 yard dashers so this is almost over.  My foundation is running down my face, my coat is soaked, and my hair is now dripping.  I finally get my umbrella open and the man sitting next to me tells me it won't do any good.  I looked right at him and said I was from the south and the only time we sit outside in this kind of weather is for a college football game.  And my grandson placed third in the shot put and is getting ready to run in the next race so watch me manage my umbrella and get out of my line of vision!

The gun is fired and off they go.  Oh my gosh, I had never seen Garrett run so fast.  Didn't know he could!  And he finished third!!!!  I am so proud of him.  Just like the mail...neither rain, nor sleet nor snow keeps him from doin' his best!!!!!

I left immediately thereafter.  I had arrived a southern belle and was leaving a well...you figure it out!              

No comments:

Post a Comment