Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas Eve 2011

I've worried about this night for months.  It's the second Christmas without HCB.  I knew I wanted to do something very new to me so here it is.

Just a few steps from me is the Topinabee Community Church and I was told they have a Christmas Eve service at 7pm.  I had met a few people who attend there and they told me it was a candlelight service, just what I wanted.  I went.  Up here in northern Michigan the churches are very small.  This sanctuary held maybe 125 people packed.  Tonight there were 67 people (I counted).  That includes the choir (4 women/4 men), the organist who was also the pianist, and the pastor.

The service began with Christmas greetings followed by the first carol, O Little Town of Bethlehem.  What followed was the singing of many carols interspersed with the reading of the Christmas story.  And I must tell you the reader was a man who's voice brought tears to my eyes because I thought it was Jack Fox.  Imagine that!  I spoke to him later and he's a retired school teacher and he also announced the football and basketball games during his teaching years.

One of the solos I had never heard before touched everyone's heart as we couldn't help but remember all the soldiers in war torn areas of our world today.  It's called Christmas in the Trenches and was written about World War I.

Many carols followed, all my favorites, and the pastor's message was about Joseph and his thoughts during Mary's pregnancy, delivery, and the first few days after Jesus' birth.  The service ended with the lighting of everyone's candle and the singing of Silent Night.  Perfect!

As I walked home in the snow and cold, my heart was filled with the true spirit of the season, the birth of our Lord, Jesus Christ.      

The wonders of His love.  May the love and joy that fill your heart tonight remain with you throughout the year.  Merry Christmas to each of you.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment