Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Getting Ready for 2012

Thoughts to remember about this Christmas season...

HC Baker always had a Santa hat.  I don't really remember him wearing it but it was always in our holiday decorations.  Since I still haven't found some of our "stuff", I bought a new one this year.  Don't know why but I did.  I put it in one of the sideboard drawers and forgot about it.  I did ask TR Baker if he wanted to wear it and his answer was no.  I ended up hanging it on a brass hook on the inside of the powder room door.  It just looked like it belonged there.  Granddaughter Grace (9 years old) came by for a short visit on Christmas Eve and saw it.  She came running to me asking what Santa's hat was doing in the bathroom.  For once my brain worked quickly and I told her Santa had been here asking me about her behavior in the past year and he went to the bathroom before he left and forgot his hat.  I assured her he had others he could wear and I would just keep it for him until he came again next year.  She seemed satisfied with that explanation but did ask me what I told him.  I said I told him she was a very well behaved young lady but sometimes did argue with her brother.  She quickly assured me she was working hard to be a better sister.
*My thought about this...isn't it wonderful she still believes in Santa?  What a sweet heart she has.

Christmas Day at Emily's was a brand new experience for TR and me.  They work so hard at this time of year.  They closed the candy store at 3pm on Christmas Eve and came home to R E S T!  TR and I arrived at their home Christmas morning at 10:30 for breakfast.  Emily prepared the exact same breakfast we always had every Christmas morning for all their lives.  Sausage casserole, hash brown casserole, iced sweet rolls, and fresh fruit.  She did add "piggies" to the menu because her family loves them.  All of it was delicious.  Her dad would have been proud!  I was just sorry Libby, Daniel, Hannah, Isaac, and Adam couldn't be with us.
*My thought about this...no matter what's going on in my life, my family is a blessing to me.

Monday evening we all went to the movie theatre in Cheboygan.  Emily, Brett, Garrett and TR saw the new Sherlock Holmes film and Grace and I saw We Bought a Zoo!  It was wonderful and I highly recommend it.  Tuesday evening Emily, Brett and Garrett returned to the theatre (TR had to work) to see the new Mission Impossible film.  Grace came over to my house to play!  We actually watched the movie E.T. as Grace had never seen it.  It's one of my favorites.  We had popcorn, bottled waters and turned the lights down low.  Another great movie night!  By the way, the others really enjoyed the Holmes and Mission Imp. movies too.
Footnote here:  When Brett came into the house to collect Grace, she took him to the powder room and showed him Santa's hat that he had left behind.  
*My thought about this...if you remember, HC Baker hated going to the movies.  I think the movies are a wonderful way to spend a family evening no matter where you watch them!

In closing tonight, I want to say I had a wonderful Christmas with my family.  We all love each other, look out for each other, hope the best for each other and pray for each other.  Let me also say much is written about people in the world who experience great sadness during the holidays.  In some ways I'm one of those people because I'm still adjusting to HC's death.  On family focused holidays, the loss of a loved one is hard on everyone.  This year I especially remembered the military families who lost their loved ones as they fought for our freedoms.  I challenge you and encourage you to add all our military personnel to your prayers in 2012.  The greatest gift to all of us was the birth of the tiny baby who grew to manhood and gave His life for all of us.  The next best gift is that soldier who gave his life so that all of us are able to enjoy our many freedoms.

2012 is almost here.  What commitments are you prepared to offer in the new year to make the world a better place.  God Bless You.    

        

No comments:

Post a Comment