Sunday, December 18, 2011

Preparations for India Trip

January 9, 2005 - HC Baker's birthday
In one of those wonderful Bardstown Road shops I found a journal with a cover and pages "made in India".  Since HC Baker was planning an October trip to India with Habitat for Humanity for a re-build, I thought it was the perfect choice to record those experiences.  Like many gifts HC received, he was very appreciative and I never saw the book again...until after he died.  His writing begins August 29, 2005, and ends with his boarding the plane to return to Louisville after his time in India.  I am copying his words from those pages.  (I'll try and not offend anyone, but remember, you are reading his journal.)

8-29-05      10:45p             Rain   Flood Warning
This was supposed to be the "30 day Preface" before my India trip.  It still is but Katrina hit and now it looks like a trip to Alabama or somewhere south before India.  Accomplished today - HFH applications - doctors appt - visa stuff - and fund raising.  I'm setting up the handbook and other info about India.  A very busy day - work from home.  Hospital visit to Shardine and Lisa Short.  MBS - work again - some cooking for tomorrow with the kids.  Will see how long I can keep this up.

8-30-05     10:30p    Rain
Day two of the book - Katrina is much worse than anybody could imagine.  Will be going where needed with 10-12 of my Saintly Friends who just can't wait to help.  You watch the "looters" on TV and wonder about Mankind - but then you look at all the people who try and help - I'm impressed.

India was the reason for the book but - prepare me and my head - looks like I'll get some help by cooking.

Two calls from friends celebrating answered prayer - praise the Lord!  The grand kids, Dave & Joyce, and Jo Ann had turkey tonight.  The kids are growing and maturing.  Very proud of them!  Going to cook for painters @ Hilton's tomorrow - Continuing to pray for one of the good guys.  Still working on paperwork - almost done.

8-31-05        11:15p     Sunny
Hey what can I say - It's late - I just got home from church - I'm tired - not a great day.  Lots of people have offered to go with me to Mississippi.  That's good - Katrina is BAD - Still working on apps for India.  The painting for Hilton was great - 6 guys from church there to help.  That's good - Thank you God.

9-1-05         11:30pm      Sunny
Late - tired - spent 2 1/2 hours with David G.  His wife Linda passed away last week - He has no family home - Nice guy - just hurting a lot - He just needed to talk.  I just pray it helped a little.

Lunch at Clifton was great!  Shared about Julie's upcoming wedding and the trip to Mississippi - overflow crowd.

I worked on HFH health policy - what a joke.  I cannot believe the hassle.  But we prevailed - I think Mary got a great price.  Also went to BGB to see Tim Kreckle.  Steve and another Steve he works with went - Steve gave me a donation!!  I dearly appreciate that and the thought.

Will continue tomorrow...JB


  

No comments:

Post a Comment