Monday, December 5, 2011

Prayer according to HC Baker

First I must tell you in the past week I have received several wonderful phone calls from dear, dear friends as well as all the comments you leave for me on my FB page.  All of you are so kind to share your appreciation for my "blogging".  (As a former dancer at least it rhymes with clogging and that's close!)  Anyway, FYI...I normally do not respond to comments readers post on FB.  I would be writing all day.  BUT...I want each of you to know how special you are to me.  As most of you know, I can talk a lot.  But words completely fail me when I try to tell you what you mean to me.  All of our lives are journeys but when you are thrown into an unexpected journey the likes of which you have never experienced, it's quite a ride.  And all along the way it's incredible to know that when you falter in any direction, friends are there to stand you up again.  It's so true what the song says, Friends are friends forever!

I heard a great comment on a local christian radio station today, 105.9, The Promise.  Do not know the source but here it is.  "Life has a way of trashing our trophies!"  In a nutshell, the story was about 2 teenage brothers who needed a prop to help with a household chore they were doing without anyone asking.  They took it upon themselves to do this for their parents.  The prop they chose to use to help dry out the basement carpet that was wet from a rain leak was a high school sports trophy hard earned by their father.  The father, while pleased and proud of his sons, had a difficult time overlooking the now ruined trophy that meant so much to him.  Fortunately (we should all be so lucky), he was able to get control of himself before he spoke and congratulated, thanked and hugged his sons.  That comment applies to so much of our lives.  Think about how it applies to you.

HC Baker was a great "pray-er".  Sometimes I would forewarn him to watch his time.  His prayers could go on and on and on even at our dinner table at home.  But again...that was HC Baker.  In his little black binder he must have a hundred comments, quotes, and articles about prayer.  Many of them have been cut out of a magazine or newspaper article or where ever.

Prayer is the soul's sincere desire unuttered or expressed.
The motion of a hidden fire that trembles in the breast.


Prayer is the burden of a sigh, the falling of a tear.
The upward glancing of an eye when none but God is near.


O thou by whom we come to God, the Life, the Truth, the Way.
The path of prayer thyself hast trod Lord teach us how to pray.

Another comment...
"The greatest thing anyone can do for God and man is to pray.  It is not the only thing, but it is the chief thing.  The great people of the earth today are the people who pray.  I do not mean those who talk about prayer; nor those who say they believe in prayer; but I mean those people who take time to pray.  They do not have time.  It must be taken from something else.  This something else is important, very important and pressing, but still less important and less pressing than prayer."

And finally...
"Prayer is simply carrying on a conversation with God.  That's what Jesus told his disciples.  Prayer is talking to God about His will and our needs.  It's talking to Him just as if He were with us, because He is.
Talk to God right now about His will and your needs.  You don't need churchy language.  Just be yourself."

You are all in my prayers and trust me, there's no "churchy language" out of my mouth.  Oh that reminds me of a funny story about HC and me.  Many years ago after a Sunday morning service, HC Baker was speaking with a visitor.  He was doin' his thing!  I went over to him about the time the visitor asked HC if he was one of the ministers.  I burst out laughing and said the only way we'd know the Lord had called HC to the ministry would be if at the same time he called HC, he struck me dead!!!!!  See how fun our life together was?

Blessings to you all!  xxoo    

      

No comments:

Post a Comment