Thursday, December 1, 2011

Questions on a gray day

It's very cold, rainy, snow flurries, and gray.  I have been confined to my bedroom most of the day due to my re-modelers on the first floor.  I have been able to complete a lot of the paperwork that has accumulated in the past week.  (That means I have been remiss in filing receipts, bills and correspondence.)  I've read a new book, organized the linen closet, and changed the beds (I hate that job!).  Saws, paint brushes and that "dadgum" power hammer have shaken the glass in the windows.  What to do next?

I keep a list of questions in front of me that I'm always contemplating.  I currently have five on the list.
1.  What must I complete by 12/31/11?
That question is another list all by itself, but an easy list to compose.  Most of the things on it are pretty obvious.  No real concerns there.

2.  What will be my goals for the first quarter of 2012?  2012...can you believe it?
The winter lasts a long time up here but I will be busy getting things ready for spring.  With the completion of the first floor, I can organize and prepare for what comes next.  Primarily, it's the front porch.  It's on the front of the house, windows on 3 sides overlooking Mullet Lake.  It will be a huge project but with wonderful results.  And like most of you, when I work, I think.  Personal thinking for me is great therapy.  It allows me to ask and answer lots of questions and concerns.  I call it my own positive feedback!
      
3.  What's in my heart today? (That's a good question I ask myself everyday.)
What do I need to do to help somebody or something?  Sunday school taught all of us to "do unto others".  Sometimes it's easy and sometimes it's very difficult.  Sometimes the person or thing is very close to us and sometimes it's an international issue.  I tell myself if we all do just one little thing every day what a difference it will make in our world.

4.  Who needs my prayers today?  (Another one I ask every day.)
I have to honestly say some days the first person on my list is me and some days there are so many others on my list I forget about me.  We all need prayer for us as well as others.  Do you ever have days when the words of your prayer just won't come to you?  Dear Heavenly Father...and then nothing.  You know you have lots to say but the words are tumbling around in your head so fast, none of them can escape into your thoughts.  My solution to that, "Be still and know that I am God."  It works every time.
 
5.  What would HC Baker think about what I'm doing?  (That question is always on my list!)
After a particularly difficult yesterday, the main workers (Joe and Tommy) came in this morning very quietly and from the looks on their faces, I think they were wondering when I would "blow" today?  I looked at them and said I decided last night if HC Baker could, he would work his ashes back into his physical form, appear before me and ask what the hell I was doing!  This re-model has been happening for 44 work days and with the weekends and holidays included when the house was upside down, that number would be closer to 64.  And that is the #1 reason he/we never had a project like this when he was alive.  He would not have been able to stand the mess.  His world was organized and re-organized and re-re-organized.  Yesterday I found another yellow legal pad filled with his notes on something.  Haven't figured out what just yet.  But that was HC Baker.  Make a plan and work your plan.  Ask anyone who worked in a kitchen with him on a mission trip or anywhere else.  He gave at least 100% of himself and expected everyone else to do the same.  So I work very hard at trying to stay organized and most importantly, giving the full measure of myself to everything I do.


And that is the answer to all 5 questions...Giving the full measure of myself to everything I do.  Isn't that what's expected of us all?

No comments:

Post a Comment