Tuesday, December 20, 2011

I'll get back to HC Baker's India trip later...

What a day!  It was almost 4 o'clock before the countertop people got here.  But...it looks fabulous!!!!
Back to that in a minute.

Spent the morning and early afternoon putting stuff away.  FYI...I still have 20+ boxes full of stuff from Louisville storage and the Witt cottage.  Why do we do this?  And if it's in a box and has been for some time what could it be and why do we need it?  But then I found some old sterling pieces from way back that I love.  AND...drum roll please...I found my dining room table pads!  They were on the front porch buried under an old bedspread being used to cover spring stuff.  Am so excited.  Did not want to have to replace them.

Because TR Baker leaves for his work around 5pm I always try to have something prepared for him to eat before he goes.  Today's menu was turkey breast and home made mac & cheese!!!!!  YUM!  Also wanted to get it ready before the countertop guys arrived (thinking it would be around 2pm - NOT!).

Next, I wrapped all the "local" Christmas presents.  (Sent the out of town ones last week.)  In past years due to work and other obligations, I have always been the person wrapping on Christmas Eve .  Last year and this year since I have retired, wrapping is fun.  And I think we should give a Nobel prize to the person who invented gift bags!!!!  Love that person.  And now you can buy them with the tissue paper already with it!!!  Too cool!

The counter guys have arrived.  My contractor is here too.  I think he's avoiding me because I ask too many questions.  Where's this?  Where's that?  When will it be here?  I've decided not to take any more workers in until after Jan 1.  And tomorrow these 2 fabulous women I met are coming to clean the house!!!  Can't wait!

I had worked hard so I decided I'd sit down for a while and see what was happening on TV.  Found the movie I Remember Mama and watched it from beginning to end.  Irene Dunn, Barbara Bell Geddes when she was probably 16, Rudy Vallee, and lots more.  Black and white and wonderful!  It was on for 2 1/2 hours!  EEK!  Got to get up and do something else.

You might be wondering where I'm sitting, what room and on what?????  (Aren't ya'?)  I've been in every room in the house working around the re-model.  Tonight I'm in my kitchen sitting at the peninsula working on top of my new countertop with my rear end on a brand new stool.  I bought 4 of them the other day and when I went to customer pick-up to have them loaded, they put 2 medium sized boxes in the back end of my car.  Oh my!  I asked the young man if they didn't sell them already put together.  He said not to worry.  They're easy to put together.  I just looked at him.  This didn't feel like something I was interested in doing or would be able to do.  So tonight after the movie, I said what the hell!  Let's open the boxes and see what it looks like.  2 stools per box each in 6 pieces with instruction sheet, 8 screws and an allen wrench.  (The only reason I know it was an allen wrench is it said so on the instruction sheet.)  And I have 8 screws but the instruction sheet only shows me using 4 of them.  I asked myself (I do that a lot) how difficult could this be?  I'm a reasonably intelligent person.  I can read and count and look at pictures.  Let's do it!  I started at 8:05 and at 9:14, I had all 4 put together!  Hooray for me!  I don't think I have ever done anything like that before.  And they look like they're supposed to.  I am sitting on one right now and it hasn't fallen apart!  When TR Baker gets home he will ask me who came over and put these together.  ME!!!!
NOTE:  I did photograph this event but cannot find my digital camera so I found a disposal one that I'll have to get developed onto a disk.  I want all of you to see what I did!  OK enough boasting!

Have been listening to Christmas carols all day and they are the background music for tonight's writing.  Don't you feel good when you know the words?  And you know them because you have spent the "good" part of your life hearing them.  Good for you!  God is good!    

No comments:

Post a Comment