Monday, December 19, 2011

Preparing for India cont.

9-2-05       10:30p       Sunny
Went to flea market today with Jo Ann - Robin and TR.  Not so great - We don't know why we still go.  Went to Cracker Barrel for lunch and had a good time.

Got home - thought we would rest a bit - but Mary called and we went to Wayside to help Linda with a kids movie night.  Had a good time - took a large bag of clothes for the people coming up from the storm.

Sent a note to Hilton -
Jo Ann and I stopped @ Dizzy Whiz for a burger - it was good food & good time.

9-3-05         8:15p       Sunny
After church they (Les) had a commissioning for those going to Mississippi.  We had the red & blue picnic - lots of people - lots of food (potluck) - a good time.  Allen and Dora gave me money for the trip.  Bless them!

Went to my favorite cousin's for a shower for Brooke.  She's a doll and a sweet young lady!  I have always liked her.  Good time - good food - good to see some folks I had not seen for some time.

Trying to focus on getting ready for India and Mississippi and bills & work & yard & everything before I go - it will work!

9-5-05 Monday       6:10pm    Sunny
I'm sure nobody will notice but I missed a day somewhere!  Today is a holiday - as usual worked more today than normal.  Cleaning - packing - calling - planning - shopping - got lots done - Sent TY notes to DHF, A&DK, S&SW for $ to India.  We've got at least eleven people going to Mississippi - good friends!  And all seems well right now.

9-6-05         at least 12:01       Sunny
A very long day at work - getting ready for trip tomorrow.  At least 75 phone calls - maybe more - dinner tonight with JA TR & Robin - had a good time.  Adam wants a pocket knife - sent Hilton an e-mail.

9-7-05       11:52p which is 12:52 in L     Sunny
Dam!  We left @ 8:00am on time but I do not know where the time went - well I know - We went to Selma AL to drop off two trailers.  That's no big deal - but.....

Well the drive was OK but 8am - 11:30pm way way too much.  We did eat at an interesting place in Selma - The Steak Pit!  Cheap and OK steak potato salad!  Not bad - Well the lights are out - 5 hours to sleep!  Dear God please help me -

9-16-05    11:30p     Cloudy & rain
Well - My intentions were good but something was weak!  Wanted to write every day but the trip to Mississippi was more than I could keep up with.  It was a great trip - looking back.  but different and hard in ways I want to forget.  Eleven souls made the trip - Patty H, Bobbie W, Jim Leeper - J. Cahoe, Steve Penn, Brian Mize, Rick, Mike M, Dong Yon (Billy Bob) Jac Jones and me.

Too long down.  It was great to see friends from Florida & Alabama and meet new friends.  The place was nice but too far from folks that needed us.

Still trying to get ready for India.  Lunch with Jacob today - and read Mary Ellen's e-mail from India 2000.  Jacob was helpful and a new friend.  The e-mails had me laughing and crying reminding me of the great times I've had with christians on mission trips - all over.  Well - only missed a few days in the scope of a lifetime - guess I won't be too discouraged - keep on trying.

9-28-05          6:20pm  Sunny
Well the day before I leave for India is here - I'm as ready as I guess I can be - or I'm going to be.  The wedding for Julie and Jeremy was great.  I was as wet with sweat as I could be - it was outside @ Whitehall and it was 90 and I wore a robe.  Overall they seemed to enjoy the whole thing so I guess it was OK!

(Julie was the server at Clifton Pizza and she and HC became fast friends.  She asked HC Baker if he would perform the marriage ceremony at her wedding.  He did wearing Les' black robe with Dr. Cromer as the "official" minister.)   


The grandkids (less Dan) came over for dinner last night.  Robin and TR came over - I had a good time.  They have (T&R) moved into their new home.  A very nice little place.

I don't know what to think about the trip - I'm not thinking anything yet - I'll let you know.

Jack took me to lunch @ a Bosnian place on Bardstown Road.  Those Bosnians don't do much for the cooking world - but the time together was good - Jack is one hellava friend to me.  Dave and Kevin and Jan and Vicki and others have called to say good bye.  Friends like mine are nice to have around!

As I write these words from HC's journal I am reminded of how excited he was to go to India.  The best airfare we found was departing from and returning to Cincinnati.  The drive up was interesting in that HC was very quiet (and we all know that wasn't his "norm").  Even though he had been on quite a few mission trips and disaster relief trips, this trip was taking him so far away from "home".  When we arrived at the airport, we had plenty of time before he had to check in so we had a late lunch in the airport and were able to find a quiet place and talk.  His fear was that he wouldn't be able to help these people.  They had lost everything and they didn't have that much to begin with.  What would he do?  We talked and talked and prayed and prayed.  Finally it was time for him to head to the gate.  With a very heavy heart I let him go.  I knew that God was watching over him...plus I had my fingers crossed!     

No comments:

Post a Comment