Wednesday, November 30, 2011

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly!

The Ugly -
My kitchen, my powder room, my laundry room

The Bad -
My brand new refrigerator that I have had less than one week quit working!  A new one has been ordered!  The dishwasher with the door that wouldn't open due to close proximity to the stove has been replaced but the water needed to use it is turned off because they installed the countertops today.  (They look beautiful but the glue/grout stuff they sealed them with smells horrific all over the house!!!!)  Plumber comes tomorrow.  Don't pour anything down that sink or use the powder room...PLEASE!  The refrigerator repair man as he was leaving asked if he could talk to me.  He wanted to offer me suggestions on how to keep frozen food in the freezer.  He said I probably had too much in there and that might have caused the appliance to quit working.  Pregnant pause and very deep breath on my part before I said...Listen Bucko - I am 64 years old, mother to 3, grandmother to 6 with a house that is upside down and whatever you might think of my kitchen abilities, DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT INSTRUCTING ME ON FREEZER ORGANIZATION!  (capitalized because I was shouting!)  He left post haste!  The other workers in the house were very quiet the rest of the day.
NOTE:  Tomorrow the carpet people are back to install the stair runner.  I don't even remember what it looks like.  The plumber will come and connect the new sinks with the faucets, "install" the dishwasher, and restore the water supply.  Friday the tile guy is supposed to appear and do his part which will be completed on Monday when he does the "grout" thing.  Painters will re-appear sometime and touch-up all the places that have been scratched by other tasks!  I can do this!  I can do this!  I can do this!  My contractor says it's almost over.  Hurry!  Living in the house during a re-model SUCKS!  Enough...

The Good -
I read on FB that Kathy Ludwig saw the movie HUGO today and highly recommends it.  I love movies and I love to go to the movies.  Popcorn with extra butter, diet coke and leave me alone!  One of my favorite things to do is when Cinda organizes (I should ask her about her freezer) a dinner and a movie night with all her special treats.  Love it!  Anyway, HC Baker hated going to the movies.  I think it had to do with childhood memories.  His father died when he was five and he was the oldest of 3.  His mother had to go to work and when the children got older she used the Saturday afternoon movie at the Vogue as a babysitter.  I think HC always resented movies because it meant his mother had to work and could not be with them.  June was a fabulous mother and back then being a single mother was very hard work.  No daycares among other things.  Fortunately her mother and father, Gandy and PawPaw were close by and often filled in for her.  Back to the movies...
This was a long time ago when HC and I were dating!!!!!  I wanted to see Evergreen with Barbra Streisand and Kris Kristofferson.  HC said he would take me.  WOW!  I was excited.  We went to the movie theatre in Holiday Manor (how many of you remember that?).  HC bought the tickets, got me my popcorn and soda (don't think they had diet coke yet) and we went in and sat down.  After about 30 seconds HC said he'd be right back and away he went.  This was also before cell phones and HC was always on the phone.  I thought he had to make a phone call.  The movie began and I was lost in the performance.  It wasn't until the end that I realized HC Baker had never returned.  Where in the world was he?  As I got up he came running down the aisle to our (?) seats.  Not in a pleasant, loving voice I asked where did you go?  He said he found the theatre manager and talked him into letting him go into his office and watch his TV.  It seems there was a huge Ali boxing match televised that night and HC wanted to see it.  He explained he took me to the movie, bought me popcorn and a soda, and "left" me alone.  He said it was perfect.  I got to do what I wanted and he got to do what he wanted.  It was a sign but apparently I was sign blind!  We did go to the movie together one other time in our marriage.  St Matthews Baptist Church bought a showing of The Passion of the Christ.  We went together and sat together for the entire film.  Two movies in 40 years!  I remember them both with a smile on my face and love in my heart!                      

No comments:

Post a Comment