Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Get 'er done!

OK.  Today is the day I'm going to focus on the WILL!  About a year prior to HC's death, his mother died.  He was the executor of her estate and was working with an attorney friend of ours on that so I called him.  I do know that HC's mother's estate was not closed so there was another problem to be solved.  I made an appointment to speak with the attorney and he assured me he would help me solve these problems.

I took everything I had that I thought would relate and met with him.  First of all, he had to go to court and appoint another executor of June's estate and get that done before we could proceed with HC's death. Great!  There were several problems with his mother's estate that I was already aware of.  HC has a brother and sister and in all the years of our marriage, it seemed as if he was always the referee in family matters.  Now remember, he was a control freak and that didn't help.  So conversations had to take place with his brother and sister to finalize that mess.  But we did begin conversation about my mess!  You had to do this and then this and then that and then...oh my!  Thank God, all those trips to court did not need me.  Now the other part of this was while we were waiting for all that to happen, the attorney told me since I couldn't find the will, I needed to have a new will for ME created so my children would not have to experience the same frustrations I was experiencing.  WHEW!  My new will came first.  All of the parts of a will were explained to me and I agreed with everything.  Next question - who would be the executor of my estate?  I hate this stuff.  The good news was I could appoint a "trust" company to do just that.  Upon my death, the "trust" company would administer my estate.  They would keep a very small percentage as their payment.  Sounds perfect and I agreed.  Now, none of my children will be burdened with any problems that might occur.  Also, my will is in a very easy to find location that I have shown to all my children.  The pages inside the binder are very "legal" language so I have handwritten specifics about life insurance companies, amounts of benefits, account numbers, documents about my home and personal belongings and put it all inside the binder.  I feel good about that.  Now I just have to wait for HC's mother's estate to finalize and then appoint me executor of his estate, then finalize his estate.  Good Grief.  Remember what I said about this dyin' stuff!

Emily and the children are due back tomorrow to spend a week getting ready for the yard sale to get rid of the rest of the "stuff"!  I am eager to see them and get some noise back in the house!    

No comments:

Post a Comment