Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Yard Sale!

Let me update you on my sister Linda.  The day of HC's visitation, she was admitted to the hospital due to complications involved with her recent cancer diagnosis.  She is back home now and has begun chemo treatments that will last until Christmas.  She is one very sick person but is already responding to the treatments.  Summer of 2010 is not one we'll remember fondly.  But our family is strong and trusts that our Lord is right there with us.  

Oh my goodness.  The house feels so much better with Emily, Garrett and Grace in it!  Remember I said earlier HC Baker and I had already discussed selling our home.  Since his illness, he's just not able to keep the yard and quite honestly, doesn't really want to.  It was time to "condo-ize"!  Now that he's dead, I still want to sell this house, but first we've got to get rid of all that "stuff" inside.  It took all week but by Friday Emily had everything organized!  Grace and Garrett worked so hard and they were exhausted.  It was also the hottest week of the summer and the humidity was horrible.  Coming from northern Michigan, they were just not use to that kind of heat.  We had our signs to post in the neighborhood, there was an ad in the newspaper, I had change, we had plenty of food and beverages,  prices were "fixed"(right), and we were ready.

Naturally, Saturday morning beginning around 6am, it started to rain.  However by 9am the rain was gone leaving in its' wake incredible heat and humidity.  The sale was going gangbusters!  It took all of us to keep up with it.  Around noon, someone grabbed my arm and asked if I owned the house. I said yes and he said he wanted to buy the house.  I looked at him and said I was in the middle of a yard sale and couldn't talk to him about that.  I told him to leave me his phone number and I would call him next week.  The yard sale continued and we sold nearly everything.  I had a dumpster coming Monday for the remains and then we could get the house ready to sell.  All the children and grandchildren came to help, and a wonderful surprise was my sister Mary bringing my sister Linda over to see the "circus"!  She didn't stay long but we were all so glad to see her up, walking, and not in horrific pain.  So many friends stopped by wanting something of HC Baker's.  Each time they found their desire and came to pay, we gave it to them.  If they wanted something of HC's, we certainly wanted them to have it.  Many of his prized possessions found perfect new homes that day.

After the sale was over, we all went inside to cool off and sit down.  I had done a quick count of the proceeds and had a delightful time splitting the money between all the helpers.  They deserved it.  We all survived.

We were looking forward to a quiet Sunday and rest!  Emily and Garrett and Grace were going to the mall.  Grace especially was very excited!  Shopping, yes, she is my granddaughter!!!!

I was left home alone and in the early afternoon, the phone rang.  When I answered it, it was the man from the yard sale asking if he could bring his wife to see the house.  Holy Cow!  I just had a yard sale and the inside and outside of the house were disasters.  They didn't care, so I said come on over.  What do I do?  The house was not listed, was not clean, was not priced...WAS NOT PRICED?????  I had to think and think fast.  I knew what a few houses in the neighborhood had sold for in the past year, and I knew what I wanted to realize out of the sale.  So in flash, I established a price.  That was easy!  HC is looking down on me and pulling out whatever hair he had left.  Doorbell rings and I am face to face with this couple.  I show them the house.  I'm thinking now they'll leave.  He asked if we could talk.  He told me he would buy the house "as is" for "x" amount.  So I said he could have the house "as is" for "this" amount.  He said OK!  Holy Cow...again!!!!  It happened that he was a real estate broker and brought a contract with him.  (Am I doing something wrong here?)  He wants to complete the contract, give me a deposit, and set the closing date.  I held up my hands and said wait a minute.  Can I have a few moments alone to think about this?  He said of course so I went out back and what's the first thing I see?  My cardinal was sitting on that low branch waiting for me.  I took about 5 minutes and talked it over with my cardinal, went back in the house and signed the papers.  It was meant to be.

Now what do I do?            

No comments:

Post a Comment