Monday, November 21, 2011

Thanksgiving 2010

In the past 17 months I have grown to hate the "first's" special days that have followed HC Baker's death. I've experienced our first wedding anniversary alone and am about to face the first Thanksgiving alone.

I left our cottage in northern Michigan and returned to Louisville at the first of November.  I've had 3 weeks to prepare for this but now know I am totally unprepared.  As it turns out, my sister Mary's friend Seamus has experienced a tragedy in his family.  His youngest brother has died and Mary and Seamus are going to Ireland for his funeral.  The time frame for this will include the Thanksgiving holiday.  Mary and Seamus have a beautiful golden retriever named Molly and she needs someone to be with her during their absence.  I will stay at Mary's and keep Molly company.  I have a purpose!  Isn't that what we all want...to be needed?  OK, I now have something to keep me focused so I just need to get through the Thanksgiving day.

Our daughter Libby has decided she will cook Thanksgiving dinner.  She is a wonderful cook and will prepare all the family's favorites.  Thanksgiving Day arrives and I just cannot go to church.  Last year is too fresh in my memory.  My sister Linda and her husband Bill come by to pick me up and head to Libby's.  (Remember, Libby has 4 children, always an assortment of dogs, and who knows how many kids' friends.)  True to Libby's form, she is cooking enough food for a small army with every burner on the stove on high and 6 beautiful pies sitting on the washer and dryer (away from the dogs!).  She is wearing one of her father's aprons.  It's the one that makes her look like she is dressed to fish and in the middle of the front, there is a "velcroed" oven mitt shaped like a fish!  I help set the table and make sure everyone will have a chair.  The kids start dragging the extra chairs in from all the other rooms in their home.  It's so "family", don't you think?

Dinner is ready and smells heavenly.  Unknown to me, Libby already decided and asked Adam (her youngest) to say the blessing.  Ever since Adam was 2 years old, he has been the most beautiful, sweetest 'pray-er".  Today his words are simple and touch all of our tender hearts.  Lots of sniffles as he says "amen".

Dig in!  There is everything!  Of course there's turkey with gravy, mashed potatoes, and corn bread  stuffing, but add to that green beans, corn pudding, one of those cool whip salads, tossed salad, macaroni and cheese, baked sweet potatoes with toasted marshmallows, and buttery rolls.  Oh my gosh!  Everyone is eating, laughing, talking, passing food, Libby is jumping up from the table for something she forgot, knees are touching under the table, smiling eyes are meeting over the food, and everyone is loving each other.  I hope this sounds like the Thanksgiving each of you experiences because it's a very special feeling...one of love.

I made it through the day and returned to spend the evening with Molly.  We were thankful for each other.

11/21/11 - TODAY'S NOTE:  In February, 2011, Molly was diagnosed with cancer.  She had 2 surgeries and 8 chemo treatments.  She seemed to be doing well so Mary and Seamus planned another trip to Ireland for the first anniversary of Seamus' brother's death.  Molly was staying with a dear friend of Mary's and on Friday morning the friend called my sister Linda and said Molly wasn't doing well at all.  Linda went to get her and take her to her vet.  With great sadness in my heart, I must tell you Molly died Friday, November 18, 2011, with her head in Linda's lap.  Like all of you, we are mourning the loss of Molly.  And please say a prayer for Mary.  She wasn't with Molly at the end so her heart is doubly broken.

I'm thankful for all of you.                    

No comments:

Post a Comment