Monday, November 14, 2011

A Loaded Car

I'm headed to my sister Linda's home to stay for about 10 days.  My car is full of clothes, accessories, my laptop, a few books, and my favorite photos.  I will be glad to spend the time with her and help her do whatever needs to be done.  She is responding well to the chemo but is still so very weak and the pain is like a shadow, always just beyond her grasp.  My sister, Mary, is also helping and will continue to "cover" for me while I'm away.

One thing I haven't talked about during this ordeal is that St. Matthews Baptist Church is without a senior pastor.  We have an incredible staff that has filled those shoes to overflowing.  And our interim pastor, Billy Compton, has carved a permanent home for he and his wife, Miss Sue Ann, that will leave a void like no other when his "term" is over.  Our former pastor, Les Hollon, has been wonderful.  He has called me many times and I know is never more than a phone call away.  And my Christian friends, absolutely could not have survived without them.  The good news is we have "called" a pastor and we are planning a wonderful weekend for his ordination service and his first Sunday to preach.  And being Baptists, there must be a party that involves food!  With all that has happened in my life, I'm kinda' on the very edge of these happenings but so grateful to a wonderful friend, Denise, for calling me and asking me to help with the reception.  She said she would understand if I could not, but sincerely hoped I would.  I said yes worrying all the while if I could really do this.  I also planned to leave for my cottage in Michigan the day after Dr. Barr's first Sunday.

WOW!  Dr. Barr is a big guy!  (And that's how I refer to him to this day!)  The celebration reception was wonderful.  Anything Denise touches is perfect!  I had an opportunity to see and speak with so many people.  And the Sunday morning service was spoken directly to me.  (Wasn't the big guy kind to do that?)  It was also a very emotional day for me.  I seem to keep leaving precious things behind and I wonder if that's the right thing to do.  I've said my goodbyes to my family and now I'm saying goodbye to my friends.  I was also blessed to have many lunches with amazing friends prior to leaving.  More and more tears.  Where are they coming from?

My last night in Louisville and it's filled with emotions.  Although I'm going to family (Emily, Brett, Garrett, Grace), I'm leaving family behind.  Libby and her 4 (Daniel, Hannah, Isaac, Adam), TR in such raw, exposed pain, my sisters, and my friends.  Do I know what I'm doing?  NO, but it seems to be the direction God is leading me.

Sleep was not my friend that night and at 6am I hugged Linda (and cried) and headed north.    

  

No comments:

Post a Comment