Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving 2011

I'll start with yesterday!

No counter tops so they put plywood over the cabinets!
Stove arrived at 3:30pm!
No carpet runner on stairs to 2nd floor!
Trim on 1st floor (crown molding, chair rail, baseboards) apparently on the moon!
The stove was placed too far to the right and I can't get the dishwasher door open (now that's trouble)!
And I cannot find my dining room table pads.

My plan was to use my antique lace tablecloth, fine china, crystal, and sterling for the first holiday meal in the new home.  No table pads so a definite change of plan is needed.  I went to WalMart last night at 8:30pm to buy place mats.  It was the only store open and it's in the next town.  Have you ever tried to find an elegant and contemporary looking place mat at WalMart?  Yes, that was a real question!  Well, I found a black round flat straw mat that would work IF I changed my fine china to white square plates and used red linen napkins (no crystal or sterling either).  Got home only to discover I didn't have the place mats with me.  Because of the crowd and only one lane open (been there?), I did the self check-out thing.  Apparently I wouldn't make a very good "checker-outter".  I got back in the car and returned to find my place mats!  Went immediately to "Customer Service" (can't believe they can even spell the words let alone post them in huge letters for all to see)!  One person is working at that counter and she is very busy (no doubt on a personal phone call)!  She does not even look at me which is strange because I'm sure flames are coming out of my mouth as I repeat over and over...I am thankful, I am thankful, I am thankful...!!!!  Finally she asks if I need any help?  I said, "No, I'm just standing here watching the minute hand on the clock and wondering how it's possible that WalMart employs every incompetent person in the world."  I point to a bag behind her and tell her those are my place mats and here is my receipt to prove I purchased them.  She takes a quick look and shoves the bag at me.  I am thankful, I am thankful, I am thankful...!  Back home I set the table (it looks fabulous) and start the turkey process.

Now here's where it gets interesting.  I am admitting to all of you at the same time, I have NEVER cooked a turkey before.  HC always cooked our turkeys.  (I'll also jump a little ahead in the story to tell you I've never made gravy either.  Never, no kind!)  But hey...I'm 64 years old.  How difficult can this be?  TR Baker and I talked Sunday night about the turkey.  The internet said to put the "bird" in the refrigerator to thaw for several days.  By Wednesday night he was thawed!  How to cook?  Internet again but fortunately one of the painters at the house had shared with me he uses a cooking bag.  I bought a cooking bag.  The instructions on the turkey wrapping said my size turkey would need to cook 6-7 hours.  The cooking bag said my size turkey would need to cook 3-4 hours.  That's a big difference.  I decide to put it in the oven at 12:30am, set the alarm for 4:30am and check it out.  I can do this!  First I have to get the turkey in the bag.  My painter also told me to be sure and check the inside of the bird for neck and organs.  What?????  I put on plastic gloves and reach into the chest cavity and grab a neck!!!!  Then on to the other end where I find some stuff in a paper bag and a ton of fat, just chunks of fat.  Am I awake????  This is disgusting!  OK, got him in the bag and in the oven.  The alarm wakes me at 4:30am and when I check the bird, it looks beautiful!  That little pop out thing has popped out and the top is a beautiful golden brown.  I did it!!!!  Back to bed for a little bit.

I have everything just about ready.  Mashed potatoes, dressing, green beans, sweet potatoes, yeast rolls, pies, salad, but something's missing.  GRAVY!!!!  I quickly call daughter Libby.  I also spoke with her last night about cooking the turkey and she had no idea I had never cooked a turkey.  She gave me several wonderful suggestions.  Now I really needed her help.  She says it's easy.  (Right!)  She talks about the drippings (??) and cornstarch, cold water and wisking, wisking, wisking.  She's also upset because she cannot find the fish apron.  She's got the fish potholder but cannot find the apron!!!!  I tell her to get the kids to find the apron and she tells me I can make gravy, and I did!

We are ready to sit down.  Emily, Brett, Garrett, Gracie, Claudia (works at the candy store and recently lost her husband), TR and me.  It's Thanksgiving and we all have much to be thankful for.  Family, friends, good food to eat, a warm house, and God to guide us.  Throughout the day I kept running into HC Baker.  He was the turkey, he was the gravy, he was the pumpkin pie, he was Garrett wanting to eat in front of the TV to watch a football game, he was Gracie sneaking candy out of my grandmother's candy dish, he was with all of us laughing and enjoying the day.  Hope you enjoyed yours!  xxoo  

No comments:

Post a Comment