Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Road Trip!

Monday morning and we're leaving Emily's headed for Louisville with a few stops in between.  First stop is the candy store because who can travel without chocolate?  By 11am, we're at the funeral home in Grayling to pick up Gran.  He's in a box.  Grace loves this because Gran was always creating special days "in a box"!  We've had Christmas in a Box, Birthday in a Box, Get Well in a Box, and the latest was sent via Jack and Lou Fox when HC Baker was at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN...Fishing in a Box!  My day is better because now we have HC in a Box!  It's perfect.

As we leave the funeral home, Grace says she'll carry Gran.  And she does.  She puts him right by her in the car and says with a huge smile on her face, "I've never been on a road trip with Gran!"  She's excited. We drive maybe 2 blocks and Garrett points out a bakery.  I look at Emily and say we've got to go in.  Grace asks what was Gran's favorite kind of doughnut, and I look at her and tell her Gran never met a doughnut he didn't like!  We walked into the bakery and were greeted by the cutest, freshest faced, young man asking us if we were having a wonderful day?  We all laughed and said YES!

We're back in the car knowing we've got to get to Louisville in time for a late dinner with everyone.  During the trip, Grace decided to write a story about Gran so she entertained us the whole way reading aloud what she had written.  The phone rang all during the trip and I got to talk to so many wonderful people.  Some of the callers also got to speak to Garrett and Grace.  It was a special day in so many ways.

OK, we're about 30 minutes north of Louisville and I call Libby and TR and tell them to meet us at home.  I know this is going to be hard but I also know I only have to do it once!  When we pulled into the driveway, they were already there and all the house lights were on too.  I realized that was a good thing.  I hadn't thought about walking into a dark house.  So blessed I didn't have to.  Lots of tears and hugs and more tears and more hugs.  Finally, I think we were all cleansed by the tears, each other and the Lord.

We ordered what seemed like 50 pizzas and sat around the dining room table eating, drinking and laughing.  We gave thanks to our Lord for HC's life, our safe trip home, and asked for His presence the rest of the week.  Dear, dear friends Ray and Stephen were the first to stop by.  They brought enough paper products and sodas to feed an army.  Neighbors came next.  The visits were opportunities for us to laugh some more, telling stories.

When we were alone I spoke to everyone and told them what I wanted to do.  I told them I was going to the church tomorrow and they were welcome to come along.  They all said they'd be there.  I also asked them if any one wanted to speak at HC's service.  TR and Daniel (oldest grandson) said yes.  It was a good evening, a release I don't think any of us knew we needed.   For me, I had been on that ferris wheel for 3 days and had nearly forgotten there was any other way to be.  Being with my family and being home made those gears grind to a halt.  I am blessed!

One last decision to make today.  Where will I sleep?  I decided to sleep in HC's bed.  I wanted to wrap myself in his covers, lay my head on his pillow.  Just as I was ready to climb into his bed, a breeze from somewhere whirled around my body.  At first I was startled but then I knew...it was HC telling me he was OK and I was going to be OK too.  I felt peace.  (And prayed he had first hand knowledge that I would be OK!!!!)       

No comments:

Post a Comment