Sunday, November 13, 2011

My First Move AHCD!

I have met some of the most wonderful people in preparation for this move.  Right now, I'm thinking of 3 in particular.  At the yard sale I had so many vases collected over the years.  One of the last women to visit the yard sale was a volunteer with hospice.  She said they always needed vases and what would I take for all of them?  Nothing...just take them away.  We found boxes and loaded them all into her car and away she went as if we had given her the moon.  Another person said their church is in the midst of a fund raiser selling any kind of scrap metal.  Could he come back later and buy any metal that was left?  Yes, come back at 2pm and consider it our gift to your church!  Another happy camper!  Now I did need a bit of professional help with the garage and called 1-800-GOT JUNK.  Have you ever used them?  Oh my gosh!!!!  Those are the best people I have ever met.  We had 3 refrigerators in our garage, Papa Bear, Mama Bear, and Baby Bear.  At sometime HC Baker had stored the remains of some animal in one of the freezers (without telling me anything about it...surprise!)  Oh, I forgot to tell you one of his collections was animal skulls.  He used them as a teaching tool (?).  Our children and grandchildren had taken a cow skull to school to show the teeth used for chewing cud??????  Whatever!  Anyway, I told the "Junk" guys there was something unknown in the Mama Bear freezer and I couldn't get it out.  I had really tried but it was frozen to the sides.  The "Junk" guy went to his truck, came back with a crowbar, popped it out and carried it away.  I love that guy!  They took the rest of what was left in the garage and then swept out the garage!!!!  Can you believe it?  Love 'em!

I've made arrangements to have my Louisville household goods stored until I decide where my new home will be.  They brought a trailer to my driveway and I will load it and they will come back and take it to storage.  We've had the yard sale, the children have taken what they wanted, and I honestly believe I am down to the bare essentials.  (One of my first miscalculations!)  I have called in the troops - children, grandchildren, nieces, nephews, in-laws and out-laws.  It's Saturday morning, sun shining and HOT as the dickens.  To start the day, we have donuts from everyone's favorite neighborhood bakery.  Gotta' make the "deputized" movers happy.  By noon, we're not even close to having an empty house.  The bare essentials are breeding each time we turn our backs.  Pizza for lunch.  By 3pm we have the last load in the trailer.  TR Baker closes the door and locks it with a padlock I bought.  He looks at me and asks if I feel secure with this lock.  I tell him I have the only keys and have been assured everything will remain safe.  He says you better pray about that.  He has no idea I pray about everything every moment of every day.

Everyone has gone now and I am left alone in the house with my vacuum.  I always vacuum out the door so the new owners will walk into a relatively clean house.  I do my final walk-thru, opening every closet door, cupboard, and drawer.  It looks like we got everything so now it's time for me to leave the last home I shared with HC Baker.  My cell phone rings and it's Libby (oldest daughter) asking if I've left the house yet.  No, not yet.  She asks if I want her to come back and be with me.  No, I can do this.  I take my last look, walk out the door and close it behind me.  I closed the door on a piece of real estate, not anything else.  The important stuff will always be in my heart!          

No comments:

Post a Comment