Friday, November 25, 2011

Old and New Memories!

LAST YEAR 2010
Black Friday (when did it begin to be called that?) I stayed quiet most of the day.  I was sad and having a personal pity party.  I knew I had to go out in the evening and quite honestly dreaded it.

I wanted to stay in bed, covers over my head, avoiding anything green or red, wishing HC wasn't dead!!!!

Linda and Bill had someplace to be so I could be home by myself.  I was trying to think of a good reason to call and decline my invitation for the evening, but I couldn't.  So I got out of bed and got ready.  Dear, wonderful friends, Jack and Lou, had invited me to meet them at Cafe Lou Lou's at the Loop for dinner and then walk "Bardstown Road Aglow" and see the sights.  I was nearly there when it began to snow...a beautiful snow that fell quickly and heavily coating everything.  It truly looked like a winter wonderland.  I walked into Cafe Lou Lou's and saw lots of happy, smiling faces including Jack and Lou's.  I'm so glad I came.  We enjoyed our dinner then began our sidewalk tour.  It was great to be around so many happy people enjoying the night.  We also saw many friends and I especially remember seeing Floyd Bynum.  He gave me a huge hug and told me how happy he was to see me.  It was probably a small thing to him but meant the world to me.  (To throw out a "Cinda" word...SEE?)  What a glorious evening I spent with the kind of friends I hope all of you have.  I am thankful and I am blessed.

THIS YEAR 2011
I woke up in my own bed in my own home.  That's a blessing I'm thankful for right there!  If I'm asleep around 7:45am, the sun wakes me up.  It shines right in my window as it rises with a fabulous reflection off the lake.  This morning was one of those mornings.  Delightful!  Can't believe I'm going to say this but I woke up hungry (after all I ate yesterday!).  So I had left-over sweet potatoes and yeast rolls for breakfast.  Delightful!  I put away some dishes, wiped up the plywood counters, checked e-mails, had another cup of peach tea and sat down to look at the lake.  The sun is shining and it's already 48 degrees outside.  Delightful!  The phone rings and it's Gracie wanting to know if I'm going to the craft fair (held every year on this day at the Indian River High School) because she wants to go and her Mother does not!  I say of course I going.  What grandmother wouldn't?  She says her Mother will drop her off on her way to the candy store.  Delightful!  When Gracie arrives so does the electrician to install 2 lights for the second floor hallway and a ceiling fan on my summer breakfast porch.  What to do while we wait?  Let's put up a Christmas tree!!!  For those of you who don't know, I was a ballet dancer for many years a long time ago.  So...I have a Christmas tree that is decorated with ballet ornaments and Gracie has only seen it once when she was 2.  There are ballet shoes, ballet dancers, ballet costumes, ballet dancing animals, I even have a ballet dancer who is a pickle!  One of my favorite things to do is unwrap each ornament, look at it and remember when and where I got it or who gave it to me.  Gracie and I got to do that together.  Lots of laughing and lots of memories.  We did finally get to the craft fair, supported the local small businesses and headed back home.  Delightful!  We gathered the leftovers, packed them and headed back to Indian River and the candy store to have dinner and watch the Christmas Parade.  It's very similar to Macy's parade!!!!!  Lot of floats, generally pick-up trucks, the snow mobile trail groomer (Brett is the President of this association), all the fire engines in town (wonder what happens if there's a fire?), one hay wagon with the Inland Lakes Marching Band (maybe 18 kids) playing Jingle Bells, 2 REAL reindeer walking down the street, and the biggest fire engine is last because Santa is riding on the front fender!!!!!!!!  All of these floats are decorated with mega amounts of blinking lights and bells and sirens are rung repeatedly.  Note:  Santa usually arrives in a dog sled but exceptions were made today because the high today was 51 and there is no snow!  I should also tell you the parade route is the state highway that runs right through town and it's blocked off at both ends of town.  Ya' just gotta' love it!  Delightful! 

I'm back home now looking at the Christmas tree Gracie and I decorated.  Tomorrow morning Emily, Gracie and I will leave for Grand Rapids to see the Nutcracker.  We'll spend the night and return home Sunday morning.  Delightful!

My heart is still tender and I'm still sad that HC is not with me, but I'm making progress.  And I'm drawn to one of my favorite Bible verses - Philippians 4:7  And the peace of God which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Amen to that Baby!  I am thankful and I am blessed!  Delightful!        

No comments:

Post a Comment