Monday, November 7, 2011

The Hard Work Begins!

Everyone is trying to get back to their regular routine today.  Brett left to return to MI, TR and Libby returned to work and Emily, the math teacher, is off for the summer so she and the children are staying in Louisville for a few more weeks.  I am blessed!

NOTE:  Prior to HC dying, I had NEVER written a check, NEVER used an ATM, NEVER paid a bill, NEVER knew how much money we had or where it was.  I led a wonderful, charmed life.  I had a credit card I used all the time.  NEVER knew what the balance or limit was and didn't care.  If I needed cash, I went to the bank of HC.  He always had cash in his pocket so he would give me whatever I asked for.  Now don't think I was a total idiot.  I knew how much to spend on whatever and knew when I needed to discuss a purchase with HC.  (However, I did put our first house on the market when he left town and sold it in 3 days.  That was an interesting phone call!!!)

We begin the serious work of going through all HC's "stuff"!  He was a collector of many things but not an organizer of anything!  He was the perfect candidate for the TV show, "Hoarders", and only because of me did his "stuff" not take over our entire home.  Now that he's dead, I'm in charge and all that "stuff" is gettin' gone!  I didn't realize he had so many closets and so many hidden shelves in the garage and the basement.  Oh my gosh!  And I had to be sensitive to the children and grandchildren because they might want some of this.  I put the word out and told them they had one week to choose what they wanted.

After HC's illness, he and I had decided we were going to sell our home.  It was just too much to take care of.  We also had one rental property left and that needed to go too.  That was our plan and now he's gone and I have to deal with it!  I had to get the house de-cluttered (HGTV term) so I could get it on the market.  The rental house was going to require a more creative plan.  Since the house was just a block from U of L, I decided I would call them.  After I got bounced around a few times, I finally found the right person.  A lovely woman told me they were on a 5-year plan to start buying properties.  I told her I was on a 5-month plan.  Hard to believe but 2 months later, the University bought the house.  If you go to the address today, they house is completely gone.  They tore it down!  Works for me and I don't have to worry about it anymore.  I need to tell you during those first few weeks of "de-cluttering" and trying to sell the rental property, I was so angry with HC Baker.  How could he leave me with all this to do?  I would get so angry, I thought if he were still alive, I would kill him!!!!!

Emily and the children went home to MI with the decision made to return the last week of July to prepare for a yard sale.  Emily had gone through everything in the house.  We threw out a ton of stuff, bagged and donated a ton of stuff, and started dragging stuff up from the basement to include in the yard sale.  Right now the garage was just too scary to even consider touching.  She would tackle that on her return trip.  What in the world would I have done without her and Garrett and Grace?

Of all the things we found during the "big clean", one thing we did not find was a copy of our will.  It had to be somewhere.  I called several of our attorney friends to ask if they had handled it.  None of them knew anything about it.  I remember signing it.  Where is it?

I've got to do something about this, but just don't know what.  Angry with HC again!  Too much stress.  Search the house, sell the house, find the will, sell the rental house, sell HC's truck, find the will, stop crying, get some sleep, find the will, and on and on.  PRAYING BIG TIME!  Where to turn?  

No comments:

Post a Comment