Saturday, November 19, 2011

Memories

Today - November 19, 2011


I have spent the day unpacking my household goods that have been stored since August, 2010.  What a day!  My new (to me) house is 85% complete so I have started to put things in order.  I also plan to cook Thanksgiving dinner so I needed to get organized.  I only have a few problems - stove is on back-order, microwave came dented and was sent back, and...I HAVE NO COUNTER TOPS!!!!  Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday should be interesting!  


Back to unpacking.  I would open a box and the first thing I would unwrap would give me a clue as to what was in the box.  It's been very emotional.  Think of all the things you have around you all the time and don't give them a second thought.  But when your life changes so many of those things take on a brand new meaning.  


HC Baker and I gave each other special books all the time.  The only rule we had about that was the giver had to read the book before it was given and any special words or phrases or thoughts had to be hi-lighted.  HC hi-lighted with yellow or orange and I hi-lighted with pink or blue.  We also wrote a note on the first available page.  I found all those books and read what we had written to each other.  


HC Baker collected nativities.  He would buy them whenever we traveled and each one has its' own memories.  Our favorite we bought during a trip to Dallas in 1982.  We called it our 365 nativity because we never put it away.  It's very small and the backdrop looks like a cave.  On the back of the cave is inscribed "May the love that is Christmas be our guiding star all the days of the year".


Our kitchen dishes - I like to "mix up" my dish patterns.  There were a lot of patterns but HC Baker always wanted a particular plate.  The same was true of drinking glasses.  His was huge (not a pitcher so many of you saw him use at church) but nevertheless a big glass.  


HC's Bible - Hi-lighted from Genesis to Revelation!  And all his notes.  The only challenge is being able to read his writing!


A soapstone Christ HC brought back from Brazil.  That was such a wonderful trip for him.  He loved every moment.


A carved wooden elephant he brought back from India.  That was an incredible experience for him.  I believe his heart was changed forever (emotionally speaking, not medically!).  


A Canadian Honker baseball cap.  The Canadian Honker was a restaurant across the street from the Mayo Clinic.  I ate there a lot.  The first time Jack and Lou Fox came to be with us at Mayo we went there.  I thought the name was funny because the first time I saw it I thought it was called the Canadian Hooker!!!!!  Anyway, Jack and Lou gave HC the hat for Christmas in 2009.  Though he had never been there, he could see it out of the window in some of the rooms where he stayed.


Everything in your home has a story.  All of them are precious and have made you who you are.  I know this for a fact.    


          

No comments:

Post a Comment