Thursday, November 17, 2011

Trip to the Grocery Store!

Here's the deal.  I'd never done the money stuff, didn't do the outdoor stuff, and now I'll tell you I didn't go the grocery store stuff either!  After yesterday's writing, I was reminded of the first and second time I went to the grocery AHCD (after HC's death).

For the first few weeks after HC Baker died, Emily, Libby and TR did the grocery shopping.  They were doing the cooking so they shopped for what they needed.  Then they all went home.  I was trying to fill the void by looking for anything to do.  I decided I would go to the grocery store.  I got in the car and drove to the Kroger store at Hubbard's Lane and Westport Road.  I walked in the door and got a cart.  I didn't have a list.  Not a problem.  I'll just go up and down the aisles and get some "stuff"!  I was looking for things I could prepare for one person.  I looked and I looked and I looked.  Everything looked like it was for 2 people.  Plus, I only saw things HC would like.  I began to cry full force.  I was standing in front of the canned soups and I couldn't move.  Do you know not one person offered to help me?  Would you have offered help to a crying stranger in the grocery store?  I left the empty cart right there and walked out.

The next morning I told myself this was ridiculous.  Everybody goes to the grocery store and I would just have to join that club.  Back I went...to the same Kroger and this time I had a list (5 things on it).  I wondered if anyone would remember me from last night.  Again I'm wandering.  I don't even know where stuff is!  I feel like it's gonna' happen again, the tears.  Some one help me!  Around the corner came David King, a wonderful friend from "way" back.  David had recently lost his partner, Doug, and he knew exactly what I was feeling.  He took one look at me and hugged me with tears in both our eyes.  We talked and talked.  I shared my experience from the previous evening and he told me the next time I needed to go to the grocery store to call him and he gave me his number.  We parted and both of us continued to shop.  A few rows later, there was David again.  He said I have to tell you something.  He told me he hated to go to the grocery store and today he really didn't need anything, but he said the Lord told him to go.  And I am so glad he did.  He also said seeing and talking to me was as important to him as it was to me.  Continually amazed by the works of our Lord.  And looking for my Samaritan moment.  Hope you find one for yourself.

PS - I don't have any more grocery store problems..except for the high prices!!!!  Had no idea!        

  

No comments:

Post a Comment